Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I paint ?

Posted by bianchi 
Can I paint ?
December 10, 2015 07:47AM
Guys,

Can I paint PLA with acrylic clear paint ?
With this one :
White Knight 310g Crystal Clear Acrylic Clear Gloss
Thanks
Re: Can I paint ?
December 10, 2015 05:12PM
I use acrylic, enamel and lacquer with no problems.

December 15, 2015 08:18PM
In my experience acryl color doesnt work that great, the color is to thin. i tested it first when I wanted to fill letters on a keychain, but even if i didnt thin the color what was left over after drying barely covered the surface. 2nd the space between the lines sucks up the color with its capillary force and makes even spreading almost impossible, I even tried primer filler which would theoretically work if one didnt need to spray 10 coats to fill in all layergaps.
So depending on your model I would first you car body filler to get a paintable surface if thats worth the trouble.
As for clear finish lacquer I see no difference as a final coat. I suspect the shininess of the lacquer is broken of by the layer structure of the print making the clear finish effect invisible.
December 15, 2015 09:08PM
Is a car body filler a paste or sprayable liquid?
December 16, 2015 12:10AM
normal filler is a paste. I would love to have a really thick spray filler, what i had was a tiny bit more thick than normal primer, but I guess that get a sprayable paste is impossible.
December 16, 2015 02:22AM
Dupli-color makes a fairly thick primer-filler spray. It works great on ABS but I have not tried it with PLA. It's best to use the body filler on deep areas, sand lightly then use the spray primer filler to do the final coat before paint.

[duplicolor.com]
December 16, 2015 02:27AM

This was done with a combination of filler putty, sanding, spray primer filler then paint.
December 16, 2015 05:24AM
Can I use this one as a filler ?
Diggers 250g Fibreglass Resin
December 16, 2015 05:27AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login