Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Possible Power Supply Problem? Motors stopped mid print.

Posted by jcivitello 
Possible Power Supply Problem? Motors stopped mid print.
February 27, 2016 10:56AM
Hello all.

I have had my RepRap 2020 Prusa i3 from Folgerech for about two months.

Everything seemed to be working swimmingly.

Mid-print, all of my motors stopped working.

The Repetier software still recognized the board and the board seemed to think the motors were running because in the print preview screen it still showed the print progressing in the software but the motors weren't moving, the bed started cooling and the nozzle got cold as well.

Right now the software can still connect to the arduino like there is no problem, but nothing is happening with my motors.

My thought is a power supply issue because the little LED on the power supply is no longer lit. When I unplug my computer from the arduino board the LED will not light on it but when my computer is plugged in the LED will light.

All of my wire connections are fine.

Help would be appreciated.
Re: Possible Power Supply Problem? Motors stopped mid print.
February 27, 2016 03:21PM
Any information in the Log window? This could mean that a temperature problem has been detected... if the nozzle temperature goes over (I think) 250 degrees everything switches off until you reset it. Similarly if the nozzle temperature goes to 0 (open circuit on the thermistor).
February 27, 2016 03:42PM
How do I reset?

I don't think it was a temperature issue. The log of when it happened is long gone.
February 27, 2016 04:18PM
jcivitello
My thought is a power supply issue because the little LED on the power supply is no longer lit.

Power supply putting out 12vdc? Check for a blown fuse or bad connection.
February 29, 2016 01:29PM
Since everything started cooling and the led turned off it must be the power supply.

When you plug in the power supply at this moment, not connect to the arduino, does the led turn on again? If not your power supply died.
I had a similar issue a week back, i did a 4+ hour print for the first time, and print stopped, but bed and hot end where still heating, i bet the power supply got to hot and shuted down for safety.
February 29, 2016 02:34PM
In my case, I added a small 5v fan and a GLCD display to my Prusa and it was enough to cause the Arduino to stop functioning. My solution was to have a USB power supply plugged in while printing. I plan to add a permanent 5v supply later.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login