Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan PWM problem

Posted by drmaestro 
Fan PWM problem
April 25, 2016 02:49AM
Hi,

I am using dual fans to cool PLA parts while printing. The fans are controlled by RAMPS. A single cable is plugged to RAMPS and I splitted it to two close to the fans. As you know some fans cannot be used on lower PWM values and my fans used to start rotating at 50-60%. Last week I was checking the wiring of one of the fans and somehow I flipped the connector and put it in wrong direction. I was expecting them to rotate in the inverse direction but instead the fan didn't rotate at all for a few seconds and then I've seen a very small explosion on the fan. I immediately shut the device down. I corrected the cabling, turned on again, and the fan started to rotate, the a small piece (like a very small rod) fell from the fan. I don't know what this piece is but somehow the fan still works without it. I didn't have a lot of problems for a week but now I can only activate the fan at full power (255) and it won't work at 254 or lower values. The funny thing is, the other fan is also behaving in a similar manner. Is it possible that I have damaged something on the RAMPS? Or should I change the problematic fan and try again? Do you have a recommendation for an easily PWMable fan?

Thanks
Re: Fan PWM problem
April 26, 2016 12:06AM
that little rod is the motor shaft, it is holding by pure magnetic field.

Yes replace the fan before it grounds itself and kill your board.
Re: Fan PWM problem
May 09, 2016 08:02PM
Hi,

Today I removed the fan to change it and that's when I remembered a modification I had made a while ago: I had soldered an electrolytic capacitor to the fan to enable rotation at lower PWM values. It had no effect at all on the PWM performance but explains why I had the explosion when I switched polarities. Also, that small rod like structure was in fact the capacitor's metal enclosure smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login