Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ac ssr under psu

Posted by migel_hrndz 
Ac ssr under psu
July 01, 2016 01:48PM
Ok so I wat to use an ac ssr to power my heated bed. I'm trying to find a place to mount it on, on my printer I have the PSU laying down on top of 2 aluminum extrusions and there is a space under that I can mount the ssr to( the PSU has two perfectly spaced holes that fit the ssr) my question is, do you guys think this is a good idea or might there be any problems?
Re: Ac ssr under psu
July 01, 2016 04:38PM
The only issue I can see is that the SSR generates a small amount of heat. It has a voltage drop of between 1V and 2V (probably nearer 1V at the current you will be using), and passes the heater current. For example, a 230V 460W heater would draw 2A, times about 1V gives 2W dissipation in the SSR. Probably not enough to worry about.

Make sure that if you lift the printer when it is powered, the AC terminals cannot be touched.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 04:39PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 02, 2016 09:53AM
ok i wired everything up but the ssr isnt turning on, do you know if i need to change something on the firmware or the board itself (im using a RAMBO)?
July 02, 2016 02:33PM
Make sure you have the input terminals of the SSR connected to the electronics the right way round. An SSR has + and - input terminals, unlike a heater.

Also, how are you checking that the SSR is turning on? You can't do that with a multimeter, you need to connect the SSR between AC mains and a load.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 02, 2016 04:35PM
i figured it out thanks... i didnt know i had to keep the heated bed input plugged in
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login