Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor and stepper dirver heating up

Posted by vapark212 
Motor and stepper dirver heating up
August 01, 2016 06:56AM
I had a stepper motor that heated up regularily after making my first 3d printer. It is a nema 17 stepper motor. Recently, while in attempts to readjust the current to reduce the heat of the motor, I broke the potentiometer on the stepper driver. I had to buy the stepper drive, so I bought another motor just in case. I used the new stepper driver (8825 stepper motor driver) and the stepper driver and the old motor heated up real hot real rapidly. Thinking it was a problem of the motor, I changed the motor and the results are the same as the old one. What should I do in order to reduce the heating of the motor and the stepper driver? (there are no shorts, I checked.)
Re: Motor and stepper dirver heating up
August 01, 2016 07:25AM
If you are stuck with plug-in drivers that use potentiometers to adjust the current, all you can do is use the pot to turn the current down. Modern 3D printer controller boards have firmware-adjustable motor current, so you can easily set the current to between 50% and 85% of the rated current for your motor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Motor and stepper dirver heating up
August 03, 2016 03:03PM
I use (4) 40 x 40 x 20mm fans on all steppers and motherboard. Everything runs barely warm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2016 03:03PM by elwood127.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login