Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Turning Off Z Axis While Not In Use

Posted by Lodorenos 
Turning Off Z Axis While Not In Use
August 13, 2012 10:19AM
I've seen the issue of the Z axis motor overheating and skipping steps around this forum and other forums as well. Some recommend turning OFF the Z axis motor in the firmware when it is not in use, as a stepper will generate a lot of heat when ON but not moving. However, doing this can cause the Z axis to slide down slightly because of the vibration of the X axis and Y axis.

What do each of you use, and what is preferable?

-Keeping the Z axis ON, causing excessive heating. I use little 5v fans attached to the Z motors to prevent this.
OR
-Turning the Z axis OFF, which stops overheating, but may cause the whole Z axis to move down due to X and Y movement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 12:34PM by Lodorenos.
Re: Turning Off Z Axis While Not In Use
August 13, 2012 12:32PM
I set the current to a value where it does not overheat the motor or the driver and then keep it powered all the time.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 13, 2012 05:51PM
Even running the Z motors in parallel where they require more current, I have never had an issue with the steppers or drivers overheating. They tend to require far less torque than any other stepper on the machine, which means the current can be turned down as nophead mentions.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 13, 2012 06:14PM
Z motor power on all the time. I've never had a problem with z motors, either heating or skipping.

Are you having problems with your z axis/motors?

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login