Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

All metal hotend

Posted by tobig11 
All metal hotend
January 17, 2017 09:05AM
My printer is a Prusa i3. I have been using the reprap 3d MKIV head hot end. I have now switched to the, all metal J head hot end V6 for reprap 3d printer. Went to use the printer with Pronterface. What happen is at first the hot end would not heat up. Then I tried it again and it got so hot it melted the pla part that was holding it in and stopped working. I disconnected the hot end. Now some of the functions of the printer don't work. My board is Arduino Meg 2560, using Marlin firmware. My printer is about 3 years old, worked fine till now. Is there some thing that should have been changed with the firmware.
Thank you Ed
Re: All metal hotend
January 17, 2017 09:45AM
What you have is some kind of clone of an E3D hotend. Many of these are rubbish, some work fine. Using PLA parts to mount a hotend is asking for trouble, PLA gets soft at very low temperatures, use PETG or ABS instead.
Investing in a proven hotend is highly recommended, especially if you don't have a lot of experience.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
January 17, 2017 11:14AM
What hot end do you suggest.
January 17, 2017 11:53AM
Srek
Using PLA parts to mount a hotend is asking for trouble, PLA gets soft at very low temperatures, use PETG or ABS instead.

I use PLA parts to hold my hotends and can't say I've had any issue with them melting. However, they have all been genuine E3D V6 or genuine E3D lite6 hotends that run the hotend fan all the time across the cooling fins. The top of genuine E3D hotends has always been room temp cold where it is usually mounted.

tobig11
What hot end do you suggest.

I would highly recommend a genuine E3D V6 hotend from e3d-online.com. Once you have it assembled properly, you'll have very little problem from it if any. They are well worth the price in terms of reliability and craftsmanship and lack of troubleshooting time involved in making it work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 11:55AM by PDBeal.
January 17, 2017 04:30PM
The suggestion of buying a new hotend doesn't help with their question,

Have you tried again with the old MKIV? If it shows the same behavior then the problem could be in the ramps board. If not, and the MKIV is heating to a set-point and holding, then the issue is most likely with the thermistor in the new all metal hotend
January 18, 2017 07:19AM
My printer come with PLA parts. I have printed hundreds of things with my printer with the MXIV hot end, with no problems, outside of the hot end being replaced now and them. I re installed the old MKIV and the printer now works find. Does the Configuration stay the same or do you have to change something.
January 18, 2017 07:27AM
Some E3D clones come without heatsink fan. That won't work and melt PLA in no time.

The problems you've seen might have to do with a different type of thermistor or a more powerful heater element. AutoPID tuning will help, (after you've flashed a new firmware with the right thermistor definition).
January 18, 2017 11:12AM
What do you mean by autoPIN tuning and how do you do it?
January 18, 2017 11:32AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login