Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back after a few months - a few questions

Posted by JoeDaStudd 
Back after a few months - a few questions
September 04, 2012 04:28AM
Hi,

I stopped working with/on my Prusa back about April time. Apart from making it a nice platform to sit on and a shortening a few wires I've not touched it.

I'm wanting to get my Prusa back up and printing again (should still work tongue sticking out smiley ), however I'm sure things have changed.

First firmware, just before I took a break I made the switch to Marlin (from Sprinter) and the difference was pretty big.

Is Marlin still the preferred firmware for RAMPS 1.4 or has something better came out?
I never really understood the PID settings for Marlin, however I read they idiot proofed it (added auto setting).
What should the PID settings be for RAMPS 1.4 with a J-Head mk2?

The last thing I printed was using come bad (oval, terrible colour and very tightly coiled) PLA which required heating to ~210C, looking at the hotend I never removed it just snipped the end.
I have some nice Faberdashery PLA which I plan on using however only needs about 180C.
If I heat to 210C then run the good pla through to clear out the back, could this damage the inside of the hotend?

One of the first big items I plan to print is an upgrade to the X axis mainly the idler and motor housing (I had/have trouble getting the pla bushing to stick to the idler/housing) which is the best design for a LM8UU X axis?

Lastly does anyone have an upto date list of UK suppliers (RepRap parts and PLA would be nice) as I used to use Thingfarm a lot, but I they seem to have closed.

Many thanks,

Joe

PS sorry about the long post.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login