Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wade's Extruder Idler Bearing Not Spinning when Washer Offset Used

Posted by Karmavore 
Wade's Extruder Idler Bearing Not Spinning when Washer Offset Used
September 29, 2012 08:48AM
Hello All,

I'm in the early stages of a Mendel build, and I've got a question.

I was assembling a Wade's Geared Extruder according to the visual instructions provided by Gary Hodgson. (Awesome, reminds me of lego instructions.)

It shows four M4 washers over each of the 4 long M4 hex bolts, which provides a bit of an offset between the idler and the extruder. However, when I do this, the washers touch the idler bearing, which eliminates its ability to spin.

It seems like I'll be eliminating the washers from my version, unless I get some contrary advice here. Some things I wonder:
* Wouldn't a combination of this offset and a hobbed bolt create too much space for 1.75mm filiment (i.e., what I'm trying)?
* Is it important for the bearing to spin, or is a smooth metal surface good enough? (My guess is spin = important.)

TIA,
Brad
Re: Wade's Extruder Idler Bearing Not Spinning when Washer Offset Used
September 29, 2012 08:00PM
Have you actually tried spinning the bearing while between the washers?
September 30, 2012 11:12AM
You're right, of course. Brain freeze, I guess. I had previously gotten the outside of the bearing to spin within the PLA using my as-yet-un-hobbed bolt, and when that stopped working, I ran to the forums. Of course, I don't need or want that to spin. Too much drinking smiley, I guess.

Update: Wait, I'm talking about the idler bearing, which means the outside definitely needs to spin, and it doesn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 10:46AM by Karmavore.
September 30, 2012 04:45PM
You do want the idler bearing to spin. The washers are just there to space out the idler when there is no filament being fed in, to make feeding new filament easier. I never use washers there.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login