Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motors

Posted by rocktoberfest 
Stepper motors
November 08, 2012 04:18PM
I'm currently building my first Reprap (the Prusa Mendel version) and I'm looking at buying the stepper motors for it. I think I'm probably going to either buy them from paoparts or from Zap Automation (unless people have recommendations).

The ones from paoparts are cheaper and meet the minimum recommended holding torque of 0.4Nm, but the Zap ones are slightly more powerful at 0.43 Nm. There isn't a huge price difference but paoparts looks like it also sells more of the other stuff I'm going to need as well like the correct size belts.

Is the extra torque worth it? Does it make much of a difference and does the RepRap benefit from the extra torque?
Re: Stepper motors
November 09, 2012 04:46AM
Seems overpriced, you should go with [www.aliexpress.com]

This seller comes highly recommended both on the forums, and on the wiki. I have motors from him/her
November 09, 2012 02:02PM
Not sure where you're shipping to, but they are a bit steep, and the shipping to the US at least is a lot. I would recommend Phidgets (phidgets.com), particularly if you're in North America. They have good prices, and their motors are high torque, and they offer 1.8 degree/step and 0.9 degree/step motors.
November 19, 2012 03:04PM
Actually I'm in the UK, but I'll check out your recommendations.
November 20, 2012 08:51PM
Most of the stepper motors come from the Pacific Rim. Wantai and LDO are two of the larger manufacturers. For example the motor shown from Phidgets is a Wantai and several maker vendors use LDO. While some may spec the same, even at times from the same manufacturer, the difference is in build quality. If you get parts from a known source you'll likely have better results and service. If you follow the AliExpress link there are many vendors that have this type motor. One issue with getting it direct is freight, in both cost and time and another is service in case there is an issue. Were I to buy a single set, I'd get it from someone that that was more or less local to me where I could get other parts and establish some sort of relationship. I've got sets from both Wantai and LDO and both are good motors.
November 21, 2012 08:54AM
In the EU area, Reprapworld sells Wantai's 0.47 Nm motors for 12.50€ + tax. I'm using two of those at the moment and they work fine.

Reprapworld has a very good selection of other stuff too, and pretty cheap filament (32€ for 2kgs of 3mm ABS, and I have nothing bad to say about the quality). And the postage is very reasonable in the EU area. Probably my favourite shop at the moment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login