Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan

Posted by Arthur 
Fan
January 07, 2009 07:10PM
What is the purpose of the fan on the extruder head if its purpose isn't to cool the heated barrel?
Re: Fan
January 07, 2009 07:58PM
It is there to cool the workpiece down. When you use low melting point plastics like PCL you need to cool the object being built to solidify the layer before the next layer is put down.

The same is true of higher melting point plastics when the object is very small.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 07, 2009 08:11PM
Hi nophead -- Ah, I actually got that question from reading your blog ("When the filament is pulled back out only a few millimetres has expanded at the end. In contrast, without the fan the filament swelled most of the way to the top and jammed."). So it looks like the larger clear fan is limiting the ABS swelling.

You have 2 fans -- one small black one that looks to be shooting air into your "heatsink" or onto your heated barrel (I can't totally tell from the picture) and the clear one shooting down onto your workpiece. The clear one I get, but what about the small black one. I think that's the one you refer to when you say "With the nozzle at 240
January 07, 2009 08:22PM
Yes the small fan is a new development for making the hot cold transition in the extruder barrel as short as possible. I think I will be able to eliminate it by using a better heatsink and replacing the PTFE section with a thin walled section of stainless steel pipe as in Larry_P's design [repstrap-cerberus.blogspot.com].

The advantage of SS as an insulator is that it is rigid so does not need the bolts, which is were most of the heat is conducted in my design.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login