Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Stops Extruding Mid Print with a clicking sound

Posted by dcecurtis 
Extruder Stops Extruding Mid Print with a clicking sound
June 26, 2013 08:00PM
I have just got another printer fired up and running and it has been working great on those 10mm calibration cubes but when I try a bigger print, i get a clicking sound from the drect drive extruder where the motor trys to move but can not.3

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel Curtis
Re: Extruder Stops Extruding Mid Print with a clicking sound
June 27, 2013 06:23AM
Not enough grunt on your stepper motor perhaps. I would call it a shudder. The only clicking I ever hear is if my hobbed bolt jumps on the pla.
June 27, 2013 06:08PM
To quote the great gibbedy "Not enough grunt on your stepper...".

I'm assuming you have pololu stepper drivers. Take a look at ololu_v-ref_checking.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">this pic. If you don't have at least 0.4 VDC here then they are probably set to low unless you have some non standard (smaller) motors. Here is the article that goes with the pic.
June 27, 2013 06:48PM
appdev i think you maybe wrong on how much vref trip you set my z x y axis is at 0.8v and my extruder is at 0.5v, but every motor is different

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 28, 2013 12:24AM
Yes, all mortors are different.

I had dialed my motors in using the turn them down till they stall and then turn them back up an 1/8 (I had missed the v-ref method). Between that and a hard bump to my printer table I had them up in the ranges where you have them and they were behaving exactly as you descriped on X, Y and E. Truns out my E was set to 0.68 when it started stalling. After turning it back down to 0.4 it hasn't missed a lick. None of my motors got hot though, that's why I never expected anything. I thought if I had the current too high they would get hot and the stepper drivers would shut down for a length of time. Now I think just the stepper what shutting down, but I expected the motor to go full off when that happened not hum, squeal or anything else.

Good luck. If the problem persist I encourage you to join #reprap on freenode.net IRC and discuss it there. Lots of smart helpful people haning out there. I often get near instant answers or atleast great ideas to try.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login