Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ordering from Ponoko

Posted by ifoote 
Ordering from Ponoko
April 01, 2009 02:58PM
I've been looking at ordering a RepStrap from Ponoko, and I'm not sure how to proceed...

I saw the following tips:
---------//---------
5mm-laser-acrylic.eps: Acrylic plastic, 4.5mm thickness, 790.0 mm x 384.0 mm sheet size

p2-3mm-parts.eps: Acrylic plastic, 3.0mm thickness, 384.0 mm x 384.0 mm sheet size

p3-bfb-extruder-beds.eps: Acrylic plastic, 8.0mm thickness, 790.0 mm x 384.0 mm sheet size
---------//---------

Problem is, there are 4 parts on Ponoko, not 3:

---------//---------
5mm-laser-acrylic.eps

p2-3mm-parts.eps

p2-8mm-acrylic-parts.eps

p2-9mm-mdf-bed.eps
---------//---------

I'm assuming that 8mm acrylic is right for the 3rd part, but there is no 9mm acrylic on offer for the 4th part that I can see... and I have no idea how large the sheet should be.

Can someone offer some advice?

Cheers,
Ian
Re: Ordering from Ponoko
April 01, 2009 10:41PM
I believe that the first is 790 x 384 acrylic
second and third 384 x 384 acrylic
the forth 384 x 384 wood -> mdf

I would like to order from there as well and would like for this to be seconded.

Also there is no selection in any of the plastics for 5mm, only 4.5mm is this the correct choice?

And at this link [objects.reprap.org] I see that there is a discount by contacting vik, do i do that on ponoko's website or on here?
Re: Ordering from Ponoko
April 02, 2009 06:34PM
I've done the Ponoko extruder, but not the full repstrap. The 4.5mm is supposed to be interchangeable with the 5mm, so that shouldn't be a problem (it worked fine on the extruder).

The 9mm is MDF (medium density fiberboard, read wood). That's the bottom plate for it. They offer acrylic, mdf, and other materials. If you're at all handy with wood, this would be a good opportunity for savings if you just cut this part yourself at home. Just get US 3/8" MDF. Local hardware stores sell small pieces cheap.

I went through Vik for the discount, but just to let you know that if you live in the US, the shipping and tax from NZ just about offset the cost of ordering it myself from Ponoko's California shop. YMMV.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login