Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors just vibrating and not moving in one direction

Posted by pcchameleon 
Motors just vibrating and not moving in one direction
July 25, 2013 10:06AM
Hello all,

Im currently putting together a Prusa i3 and have hit a road block. The motors (all of them X, Y, Zs, and Extruder) will not step in one direction. They move back and forth erratically. I have adjusted the trimpots on the drivers in different positions from completely counter-clockwise to over half-way. Turning them up just causes more vibration and noise.

I got the Arduino 2560 and Ramps 1.4 (all 3 jumpers for micro-stepping on each driver slot) with A4988 stepper drivers in place. The thermistors read correctly and the heatbed heats ups just fine. I have currently running Sprinter firmware(I have tried Marlin and Teapot also with the same results). I'm using a Xbox 360 PS (203w).

I have also flipped the wires around for the motors (NEMA 17) but no change. I finally tested with a motor just sitting by itself and the shaft just steps back and forth.

Here are the drivers I purchased (http://www.ebay.com/itm/140967386673?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649).

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be great.

Thanks

Prusa i3
Greg Wade v5 Extruder
Jhead hotend
Ramps 1.4 using Marlin
Re: Motors just vibrating and not moving in one direction
July 25, 2013 02:53PM
Tried to run motors with no load at all?

Looked at this? :
[reprap.org]
July 25, 2013 03:52PM
Itek,

Yes I pulled the extruder motor off and put it my workbench by itself and it hold it up to the Y driver and then the E0 driver. I got same results, just steps back and forth..

Thanks for the link about the stepper drivers. I'm going to contact the person I bought them from to verify the sensing resistors ohms. Also I will test one of them.
July 25, 2013 04:18PM
Looks like I made a rookie mistake... I bought stepstick drivers instead of pololu...so I looks like that is the problem...

So the difference in ohms on the sense resistors is likely causing the issue. Could I change them out from the 0.2ohm to 0.5ohm or Im better off just buy the pololu drivers and selling the stepstick?
Anonymous User
July 25, 2013 09:38PM
Your problem is likely firmware or wiring related. I've used stepsticks for years, no problems what so ever.
July 25, 2013 11:23PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Solution: Wiring diagram that I was looking at for my motors was incorrect and the wires came shipped that way too. The 4 wires were crossed... I corrected the wiring and all is good!

Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login