Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Stripping Filament

Posted by bedsingar 
Extruder Stripping Filament
August 20, 2013 12:00PM
Hi,

I'm currently trying to calibrate my extruder - but it doesn't seem to be grasping the filament correctly.

As I understand it, I'm using a wades geared extruder & a J Head nozzle print head.

I've attached some photos of how it looks but to explain, it does extrude filament but very slowly, and it gets stuck / the motor starts to vibrate.

I'm using:

Pronterface
PLA 1.75
Hot end temp setting 190 deg c

I've tried setting up the extruder steps using the (# of steps) * expected distance / actual distance ... this worked for XYZ but not for E.
i've also tried to increase the POT, but don't want to go any further as the motor is already jamming so don't want to burn it out.

Does anybody know what the problem is likely to be?

photos:

[postimg.org]
[postimg.org]

Thanks
Re: Extruder Stripping Filament
August 20, 2013 05:47PM
1st, loosen the screws on the exturder like your are going to unload or load filament, heat up hot end, and make sure you can manually extrude by pushing the filament into the hot end without too much force.

Set you pololus using the v-ref method.
Try different tension on the extruder screws.
Make sure you don't really have ABS. You'll need 230ish to melt it.
August 22, 2013 06:22AM
You are not going to burn out your motor...Worse you can do it burn the pololu if you aren't using a fan.
Turn the pot up.
Your motors can literally be burning hot (put a drop of water on it and it'll boil) with no issues, you'll just be wasting power.

Make sure the gap between the bolt and the bearing isn't too close, otherwise it'll pinch your filament.
August 22, 2013 11:17AM
tleneel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are not going to burn out your motor...Worse
> you can do it burn the pololu if you aren't using
> a fan.
> Turn the pot up.
> Your motors can literally be burning hot (put a
> drop of water on it and it'll boil) with no
> issues, you'll just be wasting power.
>
> Make sure the gap between the bolt and the bearing
> isn't too close, otherwise it'll pinch your
> filament.

I have 68 oz in motors (pretty standard size as I understand it) and my motors have never gotten hot. The x and y are the only two that even have a noticable difference from room temp. You only know it becaue the don't feel cold when you put your fingres on them. From what I have been told, your motors shouldn't run hot unless they are under size or are allowed too much current by the drivers (pot turned up too high on pololu).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login