Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help building my first Rep Rap

Posted by luillo1 
Need help building my first Rep Rap
December 22, 2013 05:42PM
Hi, I am currently building my first rep rap, and decided to go with the Prusa Mendel i3 rework. One of the doubts I'm having is the power supply. I found this one on eBay:

[www.ebay.com]

Will this work? I am using RAMPS 1.4 with the StepStick A4988 Stepper Driver, and a heat bed.

Another question is if these stepper motors will work for my rep rap, and what is the difference between them?:

[www.alltronics.com]
[www.makerfarm.com]

Any help will be appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2013 05:56PM by luillo1.
Re: Need help building my first Rep Rap
December 22, 2013 09:26PM
A PC supply is made for running a PC. It puts out multiple voltages. Often they need a load on outputs that are not used on a printer. They do not have the ability to adjust the output and in some cases they do not actually meet their stated specs.

A single output industrial supply does only what you need it to do on a printer. It puts out lots and lots of +12 volts. For a printer you want a 30A supply. Just as with PC supplies, some industrial supplies do not meet their specs. If you are going to get one - get a name brand. The same thing is true on the PC supply. Once you get to name brands, the industrial supply is likely the cheaper option.

--------------

Just as in your other thread on the same topic, the Alltronics motors will cost you more money and not produce as much torque when driven by the normal stepper drivers. Motors rated for good torque at < 1A are better for these printers than high current motors with the same torque ratings.
Re: Need help building my first Rep Rap
December 22, 2013 09:35PM
Thanks Uncle Bob!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login