Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Axes stuttering after printing first three layers

Posted by akinbndr 
Axes stuttering after printing first three layers
July 03, 2018 08:01AM
Hello guys,

I am a newbie to 3d printing and i successfully finished building my own Prusa i3 clone mk2. However i cannot print out anything due to a problem i couldn't solve. Below, i will add a link to a youtube video, which shows a visual summary of the problem i am having.
Everything moves smootly like a well oiled machine when it comes to bed leveling, homing or moving any axis . The problem starts after successfully printing first three solid layers. Afterwards all axes start to stutter(not sure the correct word for it). The printer vibrates wildly and makes "trtrtrtrtrtrtrr" noices. I tried to find a solution for days, but i am admitting defeat..

The solutions i tried:
change jerk and acceleration settings
tuning 1/16 polulu steppers (also tried 1/32 drv8825 steppers)
used cura engine or slic3r Prusa Edition
changing speed settings on slicing apps
used repetier host or pronterface

To be fair it prints a nice 10mm test cube but when i try out other stl files this problem comes up. When the problem starts, then i stop printing and run g28. The movement of motors do not change, still stuttering.. Afterwards i reset the ramps 1.4 board and everthing is smooth again. What i dont understand is why it starts doing this after successfully finishing 3rd layer. I am this close to having a rage out, smash the printer and throw everything into the bin.. Any idea or help is appreciated.

[youtu.be]
Re: Axes stuttering after printing first three layers
July 03, 2018 09:43AM
How did you change jerk and accel settings?
Sending the new values over pronterface is an option, but won't be stored in EEprom, except you send M500 afterwards.
Changing the values in FW requires an Eeprom refresh ( M502 to read new values after flashing and M500 to store them )
July 03, 2018 09:58AM
Does it behave differently if you print from sd card?

Looks like a buffer under run issue... controller is processing data faster than you are sending it
What baud rate are you sending data to the controller?
July 03, 2018 10:56AM
o_lampe
How did you change jerk and accel settings?
Sending the new values over pronterface is an option, but won't be stored in EEprom, except you send M500 afterwards.
Changing the values in FW requires an Eeprom refresh ( M502 to read new values after flashing and M500 to store them )

I only changed the values in the FW and reuploaded.. I am really new to reprap, i didnt know how to change it over pronterface. But thanks for the tip thumbs up

Dust
Does it behave differently if you print from sd card?

Looks like a buffer under run issue... controller is processing data faster than you are sending it
What baud rate are you sending data to the controller?

I dont know, i didnt try printing from sd card, because i dont have any..
and i've kept the default Marlin value, so BAUDRATE is 250000. since you think that its a undder run issue, i will try 500000 in a few hours and tell you the result! Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 10:56AM by akinbndr.
July 03, 2018 11:33AM
250000 is normal, thought you might have changed it to 2400 or something slow...
July 03, 2018 12:18PM
i tried 500000 and even 1000000 BAUDRATE, and no change..

The thing that drives me crazy is it starts to print first three layers just fine, then it goes crazy.. It doesnt make any sense
July 03, 2018 05:27PM
well guys after days i finally solved the issue..

i used bugfix version of marlin instead of the release and it works likes a charm. Thanks for trying to help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login