Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Driver PCB Questions

Posted by cluso99 
Driver PCB Questions
June 01, 2011 01:26AM
I am in the process of designing my own driver pcb and I am going to use the A4982/A4984 chips in the TSSOP24 package because...
1. It can dissipate more power
2. It is easier to hand solder than QFN
3. It has full protection including short protection

It seems that the Gen6 software is driving all the steppers in 1/8 mode. Is this correct ?

Is there any reason to allow the steps to be changed from 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 steps (A4982 cannot do 1/8 and A4984 cannot do 1/16) ?
If so, by links or by software ?

Is there any requirement to use other than Automatic Mixed Decay mode ?

Does anyone consider it to be an advantage to have a few preselected current limits set by jumper instead of a potentiometer ?
Would 0.5A, 0.75A, 1A, 1.25A, 1.5A, 1.75A, 2A be sufficient ?
Would a user soldered resistor to select be preferable ?

I note that only /ENABLE, DIR & STEP are provided to the driver boards. Has anyone wanted /RESET (or /SLEEP) ?
Could /RESET be common to all drivers ?
Re: Driver PCB Questions
June 02, 2011 02:29AM
Clearly a question for the electronics section!

I am in the process of designing my own driver pcb

Yet another one ...

Usually, RepRap people don't care _how_ the driver works, they don't even care to adjust the current potentiometer. If you want something widely cheer'd about, make something requiring no adjustments at all. Also, price vs. "it works" are about the only parameters most people consider before buying.

I don't see a meaningful use for Reset and/or Sleep in the RepRap application. Reducing the current by some amount could be useful for the Z-axis, though. Current approach is to disable Z motors while not moving.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Driver PCB Questions
June 02, 2011 10:13PM
Thanks Markus. I was not sure where to post the question, what with developers, builders, etc.

Yes, I am another one smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login