Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap in the UK

Posted by Chompalot 
RepRap in the UK
August 10, 2011 12:42PM
Just wondering how many budding or actual fully active RepRap-ers there are in the UK?

I myself have just started building in earnest. I have the Prusa plastic set, I've ordered the make it go electronics kit from XYZprinters and I'm waiting for their hot end arco extruders to come back into stock.

Today M8 penny washers have stopped play grrrr.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC08341s.JPG (145.3 KB)
Re: RepRap in the UK
August 10, 2011 01:17PM
There is a uk section under Europe!

Andrew

Based in Slough, United Kingdom
August 11, 2011 01:58PM
Welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your build.

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
August 11, 2011 03:43PM
Good luck with the build, i'm UK too and reprapping every day.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
August 12, 2011 02:58PM
Hi Guys

The build would be going a lot smoother if I hadn't started collecting parts for the original Mendel then decided to build the Prusa lol. The Mendel uses 2 608 bearing and the Prusa needs 3 so that stopped build today. I must admit I've not done much planning as there's no sign of the electronics, I expect they'll take a couple of weeks as I ordered the assembled set. So the little hick ups aren't on the critical path, and ebay is my friend smiling smiley

Cheers
Simon
August 12, 2011 03:19PM
Looks like we will be running parallel!

I'm just looking at getting a few ally bed blanks made up, I was also wondering about option for lower bed to keep weight down but I guess MDF is no so heavy.
August 12, 2011 03:35PM
I'm in the UK and just collecting parts for a Prusa. I just have to work out the best place to source the electronics. RAMPS 1.3 and NEMA 17 stepper motor seem to be the order of the day from what I gather. I'm not very familiar with the electronics side of things, but I guess I'll just have to learn smiling smiley

Julian

Downham Market, Norfolk, UK.
August 14, 2011 11:16AM
Hi Guys,
I was looking at the extruder bits and thinking about the best way to go. I could just buy a pre-hobbed bolt but then if I do that with everything it's going to get expensive and the hobbing doesn't look that hard. on the other hand buying a bag of bolts from screwfix comes to a similar price to 1 hobbed bolt from ebay or similar but you get 100 bolts from screwfix. Perhaps we could form a co-operative where we share excess stock since we're building at the same time I'm sure we'll come across instances of this type.

Simon

(Derby, UK)
August 14, 2011 12:08PM
There is lots you 'could' do yourself, I've got a workshop full of tools however I'd keep pretty simple as when it's not working you want as few 'rogue' parts to track down.

I'm really struggling to cough up for a hot end but I think I will for simplicity sake.

Andrew

August 15, 2011 03:15AM
re the hot end, I've just ordered one from arcol.hu The website is a bit dire, with the shopping cart already filled in with the entire content of the shop when you first go to it, but once that was sorted out, they responded to the message when I put the order in. I thought I was pre-ordering a kit of parts but they have them in stock and the arcol hot ends are post free. I though it was quite reasonable at 69 Euros. Payment through Paypal smiling smiley

Simon
August 15, 2011 09:33AM
Hmm, might be ordering one too! Glad you mentioned thatthumbs up

Andrew

August 16, 2011 03:47AM
I'm now the proud owner of 100 M8x50mm bolts so if any UK RepRappers need a couple PM me.

The 608 bearings have turned up as well so I'll be having a go at the hobbing with a tap.

AndrewD hows the bed coming along, it's not something I've looked into yet, is it just a straight forward rectangle of MDF and aluminium? In passing I've noticed that people are heating them and they need some form of tape, presumably to stop the plastic sticking to the bed. Are you incorporating heaters etc?

Simon
August 16, 2011 05:45AM
I've just ordered my Electronics and Stepper Motors from Mendel-Parts.com and gone for the Gen 6 for now. I had a bit of hassle setting up my details on their site, but it seems to have worked now. Not sure how long they will take to come because they are in the Netherlands, as I couldn't find a UK source. But I've still got more work on the hardware to do anyway.

Julian

Downham Market, Norfolk, UK.
August 16, 2011 09:20AM
I'm going to get an ally bed cut and drill it to fit 10 ally bodied power resistors, should run at 12amps so possible to power from the electronics but I think I'll use a relay and separate power supply so no drop in voltage and missed steps.

Andrew

August 17, 2011 10:54AM
The Gen 6 electronics looks like a neat solution, although its probably traded a bit of flexibility, you cannot argue with the price.

The heated bed section makes an interesting read, the bonding the resistors to the plate looks to be the easiest option. I don't fancy trying to tap blind holes into aluminium.

I was a bit disappointing in the 50mm x M8 bolts for the extruder. It looks like the threaded section will be just where the plastic will be threaded through. So either I'll have to clear the tread away first then hobb at that depth which looks like it will be too deep so the plastic won't be straight through. Or go and buy some M8 x 60mm bolts so I can cut the teeth into the shank of the bolt. Anyone have any comments on this?

Cheers

Simon
August 17, 2011 01:02PM
I got the Gen 6 electronics, and they are good. However, delivery times from mendel-parts are very variable. I think they have got quite a lot of electronics in, so with any luck it should come through quick. Personally, for my next reprap (Prusa), I'll be getting a Sanguinololu [reprap.org] or RAMPS, depending on what is available. The advantage of these is separate stepper driver boards and printing from SD card.

For the bolt for the extruder, get a longer bolt so the hobbing is on the shank. Alternatively, you can feed the bolt in from the back instead of the front, which changes where the hobbing needs to be, though this might also need a longer bolt.
August 18, 2011 12:14PM
I'm building my second machine, and have looked more closely at what electronics are available, and narrowed it down to the following. I know there are other variations available from places like [ultimachine.com], but it basically boils down to these 4 options.

Generation 7 electronics [reprap.org] from [reprapworld.com] seems like good value at €41.65, though you'll need 4xStepstick/Pololu motor drivers @ €8.98 each = €35.92, for a total of €77.57.
This compares favourably with the [www.mendel-parts.com] Gen6, which costs €139, though does come with optos (microswitches are fine) and some extra wire and connectors, apparently. The Gen7 has the power to run a heated bed.
Sanguinololu [reprap.org], if/when available from [www.emakershop.com] is around the same sort of price as Gen 7, though it's a kit so you have to do your own soldering, and also needs 4x Stepstick/Pololu driver boards.
There are Arduino 1280 boards on ebay for around £20, RAMPS boards from [reprapworld.com] for €54.05 or [www.reprapsource.com] for €44.90 (but there stepper driver boards are more expensive), again need to add 4x Stepstick/Pololu driver boards.

So:
Gen 7 - €41.65 + €35.92 (plus shipping) = £67.40 - heated bed control, separate stepper drivers, can add SDcard, upgradeable
Sanguinololu - £39.42 + €35.92 (plus shipping) = £70.62 - Availability? Heated bed control, separate stepper drivers, upgradeable
RAMPS - £20 + €54.05 + €35.92 (plus shipping) = £98.15 - Heated bed control, 2nd extruder, separate stepper drivers, can add SDcard, upgradeable, most active development?
Gen 6 - €139 (plus shipping) = £120 - Opto endstops, wire and cables included, integrated stepper drivers, no heated bed control, no SDcard, not upgradeable

I reckon if it's your first reprap/repstrap, go with Gen 7, especially as it is reaching maturity. If you are looking to experiment/futureproof, go with RAMPS. Please post if you find cheaper prices or have alternative suggestions!
August 18, 2011 03:39PM

The Gen7 has the power to run a heated bed

Not to disturb reprapworld's business, but the Gen7 there is a v1.2 which is no better in running a heated bed than RAMPS or Sanguinololu.

With your price comparisons you should also take all the connector housings and crimp contacts into account. In a DIY kit, they make up for more than a third of the price. Kits vary widely on this. Except if you plan to solder the cable wires directly into the board, of course.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 18, 2011 07:20PM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to disturb reprapworld's business, but the Gen7 there is a v1.2 which is no better in running a heated bed than RAMPS or Sanguinololu.

True... but I did put which ones supported heated bed in the lower part, which is everything EXCEPT the Gen 6. I was drawing attention to the Gen 7 in the first paragraph, because I didn't mention it in my earlier post. I listed reprapworld because I don't know how much you charge for a complete Gen 7 board. Do you have a webshop? I'd love to reward you for your efforts on the Gen 7!

> With your price comparisons you should also take all the connector housings and crimp contacts into account.

Also true, I was just trying to do a quick comparison of complete electronics like-for-like here rather than all the different kits, though Sanguinololu seems to be only available as a kit at the moment. And it's difficult to wrap up all the pros and cons of kits when they vary so much. Perhaps a wiki page showing all the options from all the suppliers would be easier for people who are new to reprap to find the electronics with the features they want, and were it is available in kit (if they are confident soldering) and complete form. It is one of the most confusing parts of sourcing your first reprap!

However, I don't think the cost of connectors is that significant. To connect up my Gen 6, I ordered 10 x 2.54mm Molex KK 4-way housing (87p), 10 x 2.54mm Molex KK 5-way housing (£1.08), 100 KK crimp terminals (£6.10) and 5 microswitches (£5.55), for a total of £13.60 from rs-online, which is enough for two boards. I got 5 meters each of 4 different colours of 20AWG hook up wire from a local electrical store for £8, again plenty for a number of repraps. This doesn't include hot end electronics and motors, but then I don't think any kit does.
August 19, 2011 02:16AM

Do you have a webshop?

Not yet. Still having more fun developing and manufacturing and after all, it works reasonable without one so far. Shipping one board per day on average, often limited by the WolfStrap's speed.

To connect up my Gen 6, I ordered 10 x 2.54mm Molex KK 4-way housing (87p), 10 x 2.54mm Molex KK 5-way housing (£1.08), 100 KK crimp terminals (£6.10) and 5 microswitches (£5.55), for a total of £13.60 from rs-online, which is enough for two boards.

Hmm, OK. I think it's time to move Gen7 from Gen3-compatible motor connectors to KK100 connectors, like Sanguinololu and similar to Gen6. These bigger connectors are fine and a number of people still prefer screw terminals (which fit into the pin spacing), but they also count in for 80 cent/motor instead of 35 cent/motor for the KK100. 35 cent means PCB header, housing and crimp contacts.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 19, 2011 01:44PM
I also think this a very useful comparison of the available electronics sets ups and should be on the reprap wiki. I've already committed to the RAMPS setup but it would have been really useful when I was looking for the best electronics sets for me. There is no one right answer but having it laid out in one place would be a great help. Especially if it included sources and links.

Re feeding the bolt from the other side of the extruder, I'd be nervous of the nut being undone by the stepper motor.

Simon
August 19, 2011 03:14PM
@Chompalot - Here's the 'alternative' installation guide for the hobbed bolt. You need a half-nut, which goes behind the big gear, so the motor can't undo it. I don't know if it's any better or worse, but the hobbing is definitely on the shank.
[www.eckertech.com]

@Traumflug - yes, I think it would be better for Gen 7 1.4 to move to the molex KK connectors. Because then I could buy a Gen 7, and not have to re-wire! And perhaps later, add an extra extruder, like RAMPS 1.3, too?!
September 02, 2011 01:50PM
hey ya.
I introduced a friend in the states to 3d printing...
now, he's sending me the mendel plastic parts, belts, and RAMPS 1.3 complete kit with optical end stops (when it arrives at his end) and yes he owed me a big favour.
priced up remaining hardware at £100 off ebay including delivery. when i know the box is dispatched i'll head down to my hardware store.

I'm in the process of sorting repg out to convert faster, some of the stuff i'm intending on building is taking a full day to convert from STL to gcode... thats before printing...

in Cheshire...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login