Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2020 RepRap i3, X axis is backwards? (Maybe?)

Posted by NeonTheCoder 
2020 RepRap i3, X axis is backwards? (Maybe?)
November 11, 2015 02:17AM
Hello I just finished my 2020 build, one problem though the X axis is backwards. I set it up to the dime and everything (Besides wire cleanup) and I just installed the software on it and I'm setting up the homing. Looking at the printer with the arched bar towards the back and the arduino, and power supply in the back right, the stoppers are as follows, Z middle bar right side, Y back next to motor on the right side, and X on the X bar on the right side closest to the arduino board. My problem is when I home the X axis in Repiter Host it goes to the LEFT, therefore not hitting the stopper and grinds unless I hit the stopper (Or emergency stop). Also the Y axis moves to the back of the printer, where the stopper is, however in the instructions it says when I home it the printer head should be in the back right of the bed, when if the X axis was working properly the head would be over the front right not back (Unless I am missing something). I'd like help with this now, but if pictures are needed I will be uploading them soon.

PS: Google Drive for instructions used [drive.google.com]
Re: 2020 RepRap i3, X axis is backwards? (Maybe?)
November 11, 2015 04:11AM
Link to pictures
[imgur.com]
November 11, 2015 04:48AM
you'll have to change the direction of that axis in the marlin firmware (or whatever firmware you're using).
Allso, i see your x endstop is on the right side. I had a similar issue in the beginning when my Y endstop was on the front side of my printer. Result; al my prints were printed mirrored.
November 11, 2015 04:56AM
I just followed the guide, so i'm using the default marlin software, and yeah my X endstop is on the right side because that's where the instructions told me to put it. Should I move it to the other side?
November 11, 2015 05:25AM
you'll notice fast enought when you print something with numbers or stuff like that, and its mirrored, you'll have to change it. From what i know it has to be y endstop in front and x endstop at right OR y endstop in back and x endstop at left.

And an axis moving in the wrong direction is easily corrected within Marlin, just look for these lines in the config.h;
#define INVERT_X_DIR true // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

And change to true or false whatever is needed.
November 11, 2015 05:31AM
Thanks, hopefully if I just switch the side it's on I won't have messed up prints, when I get my plastic I'll have to test (Damn amazon and taking 4 days to ship my order)
November 13, 2015 11:41PM
This will get you going. Don't do anything above, just these steps.

According to the instruction manual, The plug for the X motor should have the red wire to the left. Put it just like the picture shows. The instructions call this the 'Z' motor again. Also these things need to be done that are different from the instructions.>>

Change the following in configuration.h

#define INVERT_X_DIR true to #define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define X_HOME_DIR -1 to #define X_HOME_DIR 1
With the printer off PHYSICALLY move the x-axis stopper to the left one set of pins (this makes it so it's the x max instead of x-min)

Now if you are using rep host, you need to go to printer settings > printer shape and change home X: from min to Max.

One big glaring mistake in the build manual is putting the X stop plug in the wrong place on the board. It should be right next to the Y stop plug, not two over as the manual says. Also, for the X motor plug wires, keep them as you see. It's not a mistake to have them reversed from the others. I DID end up reversing the extruder motor plug because it was pushing the filament out the top!

The new spring design extruder has a brass feed gear that, for me, was rubbing inside the motor housing and causing it to drag and skip steps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login