Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First 3D Printer Decision

Posted by Tidsuo 
First 3D Printer Decision
February 13, 2016 12:58AM
Hello all!

I am very new to the field of 3D printing and was hoping that I could get some pointers as to what I should look for for my first printer. I originally thought of getting a pre-assembled
printer but they seem to be on the expensive side. Then I stumbled upon RepRaps. I have looked at many different types of printers and I think the Prusa I3 type is the best for a beginner like me.

For pre-assembled kits I have taken a liking to the Folger Tech 2020. Even though this one appeals to me and my wallet I'd rather build a printer myself to learn more in depth of how they
function and how to maybe improve them? I haven't been able to find a detailed set of instructions that instruct how to build a specific one.

Should I drop the DIY aspect and get a pre-assembled kit/printer and go from there?
Re: First 3D Printer Decision
February 13, 2016 08:50AM
If your goal is to get printing quickly buy an assembled printer like the Wanhao i3.

The Folgertech is a kit so while you are not sourcing it all yourself you do have to assemble and tune it. Based on what your message implies, I'd buy a kit and learn on it. There will be plenty of opportunities to customize the kit and then when you know more you can use that printer to help build something from plans or scratch.
February 13, 2016 09:39AM
Tidsuo
Hello all!

I am very new to the field of 3D printing and was hoping that I could get some pointers as to what I should look for for my first printer. I originally thought of getting a pre-assembled
printer but they seem to be on the expensive side. Then I stumbled upon RepRaps. I have looked at many different types of printers and I think the Prusa I3 type is the best for a beginner like me.

For pre-assembled kits I have taken a liking to the Folger Tech 2020. Even though this one appeals to me and my wallet I'd rather build a printer myself to learn more in depth of how they
function and how to maybe improve them? I haven't been able to find a detailed set of instructions that instruct how to build a specific one.

Should I drop the DIY aspect and get a pre-assembled kit/printer and go from there?

Even though the kit is pre-made, having to put it together and then calibrate it gives you a excellent insight into the design and workings of a 3 printer. I have the FT 2020 and ever since getting mine, I have learned tons of things that I did not learn during my two years of waiting to get one. Making a printer from scratch without owning a printer already can get a bit expensive, especially if you do not have other machine tools for creating parts. Also, I do not think that anymore can really be learned by building one from scratch instead of building a kit. I will say though that once you know how a 3d printer works, you will find that it is pretty simple (the hardware part), and designing and building one is not much of a problem. One thing that I would recommend in any printer is a heated bed, and a good sized print volume.

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
February 13, 2016 11:47PM
After looking around a bit more today I came across another Prusa I3 by Afinibot Link, has anyone had experience with this printer or this manufacturer?

Off topic from my first question but with the Prusa printers is expanding the printing bed size a matter of extending the axis rods and changing some values in the printers code telling it how big the area is?
February 14, 2016 12:11AM
Tidsuo
After looking around a bit more today I came across another Prusa I3 by Afinibot Link, has anyone had experience with this printer or this manufacturer?

Off topic from my first question but with the Prusa printers is expanding the printing bed size a matter of extending the axis rods and changing some values in the printers code telling it how big the area is?

I would much prefer the folger one over this one. I think the aluminum extrusion frame is going to be much more stable and durable than the acrylic one. To expand the build area you would need the rods, belts, frame, screws for Z if you want, larger bed and build plate.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login