Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rookie need help

Posted by isacat 
Rookie need help
April 06, 2016 02:37PM
Hi all,

I am new on this forum and with 3D Printing.
So I have bought a second hands Prusa I3 printer and I followed a few youtube tutorials. I need to start somewher ;-)
On youtube I follow this dude tutorial and configure my printer the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8yxXEjDyPU
See the picture from the first print result (you know him, it's Marvin)

Now my question, does anybody can tell me what the reason can be why the print is bad?
is it maybe the nozzle that need to be replaced because it's a second hands printer?
any help is very appreciated that can help me in the right direction

thanks
Re: Rookie need help
April 06, 2016 03:16PM
That print isn't so bad for a first print. Looks like you just need to calibrate a few things to get the settings you desire. Calibrate you extruder steps, find your perfect retraction settings, adjust filament settings accordingly.
April 07, 2016 08:41AM
As Wide... says that's not bad for a first go. Just look how many cant get anything to print first go. I do suspect there may be some play in the system, the belts may be a bit loose. Not all machines have adjusters. Also check that the extruder is tight to the X carriage. Check the z lead screw couplings are done up. Overhangs are always an issue as there is nothing to hold the extruded material in the air.
Run a test cube to check dimensions and you will be able to see if any issues are in specific directions. Don't set the layer height more than 75% of nozzle diameter to start. To early to say if the nozzle is a problem but I suspect it will be useable.
There are no blobs so looks like retract is OK. Can't see if the correct amount of material is being extruded or if the extruder temperature is right.
Well done.
April 10, 2016 12:47PM
thx for the help already guys, I appreciate this
I did some investigation and I think I need to level my nozzle hight, now there is a auto leveling system integrated but I don't think it's working well.
I search the net but I cannot find a tutorial explaning me how I can tell the system the correct hight and not the autoleveling system (I want to do it manualy because then i am sure it will be correct)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login