Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inconsistent extrusion after changing to bowden setup

Posted by Melky 
Inconsistent extrusion after changing to bowden setup
April 25, 2016 06:58PM
I just upgrade my direct setup to bowden and have been experiencing inconsistent extrusion.
First after printing a test cube it only started to show on top layers but now as I print more and more it is staring to become more frequent.
Some photos of the cube

Things I have done:
  • Checked nozzle and heatbreak for clogs(I can clearly see through the nozzle and because I am using a e3d lite 6 hotend there is a PTFE tube running down till nozzle)
  • Reconfigured Esteps many times
Printer:
  • Prusa I3 rework
  • E3d lite6 hotend with bowden setup(mk8 drive gear)
  • PLA(1.75mm) @ 195C and bed @ 60C
  • Nozzle 0.4mm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 12:04PM by Melky.
Re: Inconsistent extrusion after changing to bowden setup
April 26, 2016 12:02PM
Mk8 drive gear leads me to believe you're still using a direct drive setup, just converted to bowden. A direct drive extruder may not have enough power to overcome the friction in the bowden tube. You'll probably want to switch to a geared extruder design, or maybe change out the motor for a geared one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 12:05PM by FA-MAS.
April 26, 2016 12:06PM
I am using this extruder (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:275593) and no one is experiencing the same problem as I do.
Since I am using 1.75mm filament others say I shouldn't have any issues with torque using just a drive gear

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 12:07PM by Melky.
April 26, 2016 12:19PM
Is the bowden tube long? It should be as short as possible. That there aren't any twists or bends in it that may increase the friction in the tube.

I'd also say make sure the motor isn't a short one, they don't have enough torque. You'll want the body to be at least 47mm. And you'll want to be running it at at least 80% it's rated current. You may have to adjust the Stepper Driver, measure, turn POT, measure, etc.
April 26, 2016 12:25PM
I guess the bowden tube is kinda long so that may be the problem. As for adjusting the stepper driver I have done that already.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login