Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting i3 kit for flexible filament help

Posted by projecteae 
Converting i3 kit for flexible filament help
October 13, 2016 05:08PM
Hi everyone.

First time post. So I got into 3d printing and finally bought an i3 kit about a few months ago and am pretty happy about it, but I think I would also like to get into flexible filament printing as well. My current i3 has a direct drive for 1.75 mm. After searching through some topics a bit, I'm thinking about getting another i3 kit for 3mm flexible filament. I also am going to maybe move to a bowden extruder on the old printer as its just for PLA prints and I hear that can really make a difference on prints. I'll convert the direct drive on the new i3 for 3mm flexible filament printing. Are there not really 3mm direct drive extruder on the market? Or maybe I'm searching about it wrong? I see lots of listed 1.75 direct drive extruders, but nothing listed as 3mm. Or maybe I just need a gear hob replacement for 3mm use and get a hotend nozzle for 3mm? If Anyone has any tips or can point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome.Thanks.
Re: Converting i3 kit for flexible filament help
October 13, 2016 06:51PM
Direct Drive 3mm don't really exist cause they can't really handle 3mm filament, it takes alot of torque. You need some gearing to provide enough torque, by means of a geared stepper or the extruder design like the E3D Titan or Wade's Accessible Extruder.

Plus, you need to support flexible filament through the entrire path to the nozzle, the MK8 style Direct Drive Extruders usally have a gap between the drive gear and the entry to the throat. I'd say go E3D Titan or print out this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 07:12PM by FA-MAS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login