Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder motor very weak.

Posted by Smallj 
Extruder motor very weak.
August 16, 2015 11:40PM
The stepper motor seems to be weak. I have adjusted the drive up and down with no change. I also connected a good motor up and didn't see any change. I did notice that I could move the motor by hand very easily unless the motor was moving, Then it was harder to move. It seems like there is no holding power like the other axes on the machine. Is there any way to make this motor energized so the it has holding power?
Re: Extruder motor very weak.
August 17, 2015 02:06AM
What do you mean by weak? From what I know marlin will turn off motors that are inactive
August 17, 2015 01:42PM
When I say weak I mean I can move it with my hand. I can slide the filament by hand up and down and the motor just spins. When it is doing a move it is difficult to overpower. I feel like when I am doing a thin layer height the motor isn't actually pushing out material. If I print with a layer height over .15 mm I don't have a problem but when I go under that the motor doesn't seem to rotate and push the filament. It's almost like it sends a pulse but it doesn't turn the motor it just shakes a little bit.
August 17, 2015 02:27PM
I first noticed this problem when I was adjusting my raft settings i have since changed them back and it seems to be printing okay now. I think i was overthinking the motor thing, however i think it would be cool to always have power to that motor so it holds position, probably not necessary and a waste of energy though.

One questions is should i be able to slide the filament up and down inside of the extruder? could the components to the extruder be wearing out?

these are the raft settings i used and they didn't work for me lol should these work?
August 17, 2015 08:55PM
I would think that it's better to leave the extruder powered off when it's unused, marlin does this after a set period of time. As long as the extruder able to push more plastic out of the nozzle without skipping steps, you're good to go. Keeping the motor on at all time is what I think would be wasting power and will make the motor heats up depending on your pot meter.

I think the settings would work, I never used raft for printings smiling smiley
August 18, 2015 11:09PM
Well I don't understand why this fixed it but it seems it did, I changed my extruder max speed to 25 from 150. It's printing great now. I guess my feed was all over the place. Idk but my printer is working awesome now. It did seem to act a little weird. Thanks for the replays.
August 19, 2015 02:25AM
It is most likely due to high speed and the motor had high pressure on the extruder, and it skipping the steps during turning process
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login