Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer Issue

Posted by newprinter1 
Printer Issue
December 27, 2015 08:47PM
I just finished building my sunhokey prusa i3 and printed a calibration cube.The first couple of layers printed good but then the extruder started to not extrude I think. I attached a picture. If someone could tell me how to fix this issue i would greatly appreciate it.
Attachments:
open | download - Photo on 12-27-15 at 8.43 PM.jpg (92 KB)
Re: Printer Issue
December 28, 2015 12:10PM
Indeed that looks like failure to extrude sufficient plastic. That could be caused by a lot of things, but here's the most common sources of low extrusion:
Incorrect extruder steps- Mark 200mm of filament, in 50mm intervals, from where it enters the extruder. Heat up nozzle, give the command to extrude 100mm of filament, and see how much actually extrudes and recalculate steps per mm on that.
Insufficient extruder tension- not enough grip to push the filament along. tighten down on the filament
Excessive extruder tension- grinding divots into the filament. loosen the tension on the filament
Filament jamming in the barrel- pause during the print and see if you can push the filament through manually. if not, then you've got a jam.
Excessive speed- slow down the print
Low temperature- plastic is too viscous to extrude properly, so up the heat in 5 degree intervals until it flows properly.
Hope at least one of these helps!
December 28, 2015 04:27PM
I have determined that the extruder is skipping steps. I slowed the print to 40mm/s but it still didnt fix it
January 04, 2016 03:54PM
Ok, if the extruder is skipping steps then try readjusting the current on the corresponding stepper driver. If the motor isn't getting enough current to hold torque, then it can skip steps and slip.
If that doesn't help, then check your nozzle. If you can't easily push filament by hand through a hot nozzle, then its clogged and that may be causing the extruder motor to skip.
I really would recommend checking through all of the possible causes I mentioned in my previous post, as even if they are not the direct cause of your issue they still need to be fine-tuned for the best performance of your printer.
January 04, 2016 08:51PM
how do i raise the current
January 06, 2016 04:12PM
Basically, you turn the trimpot on the driver to adjust the current. See the image. Make sure to use a nonconductive screwdriver to adjust. Using a metallic screwdriver can potentially short and damage the Pololu stepper driver. The usual procedure is this: Gently turn the pot counter-clockwise to reduce the amount of current to it's minimum level. Slowly and gently turn the pot clockwise while using the movement controls to move that motor. Once the motor has smooth movement and travel check the stepper motor for excessive heat. It is OK if the stepper motor gets warm. If the motor is excessively hot you will need to turn the pot counter-clockwise to slightly lessen the the current.
Attachments:
open | download - 30c.jpg (310.7 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login