Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motor problems

Posted by bobble991 
Stepper motor problems
January 19, 2016 05:02AM
Built my first Prusa i3. One stepper was seized solid. Contacted vendor and he is sending one from china. Couldnt be bothered waiting for that so bought 4 new nema 17 12v. Problem is that new motors just vibrate not turn. I think they may be a different voltage. Is there a hardware fix ie the pot on the driver board, or do I need to wait for chinese postal system. Im using a4988 driver boards. Thanks

Bob
Re: Stepper motor problems
January 19, 2016 02:44PM
Did you ever get one of the Chinese motors to work? I.e. Are you sure everything behind the motor works?
January 19, 2016 03:55PM
The chinese ones are working, its the new replacements that just vibrate. Could they be different voltages?

Bob
January 19, 2016 04:16PM
Are all the specs the same? Do you have a data sheet? The Chinese ones should be 12v unless you upgraded to 24v. Did you upgrade to 400 steps per rev? Those would need a steps/mm adjustment to work right. If the data sheet specs out the same I would check the current on the stepper drivers.
January 19, 2016 04:20PM
Oh did you check your wire pairs? Each stepper motor has two pairs of wires that are connected to eachover (resistance is very low). Those pairs need to be next to each other in the connector, like this [AABB] my motors came like this [ABAB] so I had to switch the middle two wires. Check yours, and DO NOT TRUST THE WIRE COLORS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login