Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HICTOP Prusa i3 z-axis moves too much

Posted by professorhm 
HICTOP Prusa i3 z-axis moves too much
February 16, 2016 04:36PM
Hello!

I've recently purchased a HICTOP Prusa i3(acrylic) and assembly went fine with no issues. All my stepper motors are working, and I have the bed set using a sheet of paper as a feeler gauge. When I tried printing with Cura, it will go to the 0 point(hit all the limit switches), and then go up a bit on the z-axis come back down but when it goes back down its about 1mm off of the bed, not where I had initially set it.

I've tried multiple times and cannot figure out why the z-axis is set so high. I've gotten to the point where I can get the first layer down ok, but as soon as it begins the second layer, it starts way too high so the second layer doesn't stick to the first layer. I know the firmware and the z-axis step/mm is an issue on this, so I made sure the z-axis steps were correct(2555), but still have this problem.

I even downloaded their marlin code from their google drive and loaded the firmware but no change. I tried changing the vmaxz from 5 to 2 and that hasn't made a difference. I'm fairly certain that there is something wrong with how the firmware is recognizing the steps/mm because the height is supposed to be 178mm or so but starting from the 0 point, it hits the top limit at around 32mm. Also trying to move the z-axis in 0.1mm increments seems to move it in 1mm increments so something is really off, but everything looks ok! Could my threaded rods be lot more finer so the steps/mm needs to be increased?

Please help!
Re: HICTOP Prusa i3 z-axis moves too much
February 16, 2016 11:50PM
Well looks like I figured out what the issue is. The z-axis steps/mm is supposed to be 384, and not 2555! So strange how people were saying that the 384 were the incorrect settings but for mine it ended up being the correct one. Finally am able to print something, now need to figure out the y-axis shift..the bed seems like it jiggles during quick movements. sad smiley
February 17, 2016 01:12AM
If you have leadscrews it should be about 400, otherwise is about 2560, it depende on the he you have. I think 384 is not correct either.

My printers:
-Makerbot TOM (#5215, circa 2011), MK6 extruder, ABS 3 mm
-HICTOP Prusa i3 (modded for auto-level, thread screws), ABS/PLA 1.75 mm

About me:
[www.thingiverse.com]
February 17, 2016 02:52AM
Are the jumpers/pins under the drivers on the controller board? If so are all 3 of them jumpered?

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
February 18, 2016 03:49PM
I was able to do a successful (somewhat haha, still needs some tuning) print using the robot that comes with Cura.
I thought all the HICTOP Prusa i3 models came with the lead screws, so I was assuming the 2555 value to be the correct one. HICTOP sent me a firmware update which I'm guessing changes the z step/mm value to 400 or 384. Haven't loaded it yet but will give it a try, will probably work the same as what I have now though.

eried, I haven't noticed any jumpers under the drivers on the control board. What would the jumpers do exactly?
February 18, 2016 11:33PM
No jumpers at all. Mine came with threaded rods

My printers:
-Makerbot TOM (#5215, circa 2011), MK6 extruder, ABS 3 mm
-HICTOP Prusa i3 (modded for auto-level, thread screws), ABS/PLA 1.75 mm

About me:
[www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login