Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to install additional 5V or 12V cooling fan?

Posted by janpenguin 
How to install additional 5V or 12V cooling fan?
August 30, 2015 08:14PM
Duet v0.6 Wiring diagram on Duet Wiki

Does this diagram is right one for the Duet board on Fisher?

I see there are two 5V pins. Can I connect a 5V fan to one of them?
Re: How to install additional 5V or 12V cooling fan?
August 31, 2015 02:59AM
That diagram doesn't show how to wire always-on fans. Here is an image from RepRapPro's Fisher build instructions:

The 3-pin connector in the foreground powers the hot end fan. Only the two outer pins are used. You can connect a second always-on 12V 19V fan to the two pins immediately behind the ones that the hot end fan is connected to.

Here is another diagram (from the RepRapPro Ormerod build instructions) that shows these connections better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 08:43AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

PRZ
August 31, 2015 07:00AM
Beware, the Fisher is supplied in 19V, so there is not 12V on the board. The connection of the hotend fan is the same as the input, so 19V (you could check the voltage by looking the markings on the supplied fan).
RRP sells 19V fan and I have connected one of them on the power input to cool the board.

Using 5V fan, easier to find, is a good idea.
5V is available on the J1 connector (expansion connector, NOT the motor connector) on pin 1, pin 2 being earth, as could be seen here : [github.com]
3.3V is available on the motor connector.

Also, maybe while the 5Vjumper is on, 5V output is available on the 5V input ?
Also, what is the power available in 5V? David indicated in another topic (display) that for recent boards, the 5V power have been lowered.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 01:59PM by PRZ.
August 31, 2015 08:50AM
PRZ
Beware, the Fisher is supplied in 19V, so there is not 12V on the board. The connection of the hotend fan is the same as the input, so 19V (you could check the voltage by looking the markings on the supplied fan).
RRP sells 19V fan and I have connected one of the on the power input to cool the board.

My mistake, of course it is 19V on the Fisher, not 12V. I have corrected my original post.

PRZ
Also, maybe while the 5Vjumper is on, 5V output is available on the 5V input ?

No, because there is an isolation diode.

PRZ
Also, what is the power available in 5V? David indicated in another topic (display) that for recent boards, the 5V power have been lowered.

The switching regulator on the Duet 0.6 and 0.8.5 boards can in theory provide 2A of total current on the 5V rail. The 5V rail feeds the 3.3V regulator, so the total current drawn from 5V by the board is probably about 200mA. So plenty of spare capacity to run a 5V fan. It's the 0.8 board that has the linear regulator, and hence less 5V and 3.3V current available. But I don't know whether th 0.8 is in production.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
PRZ
August 31, 2015 02:01PM
I confirm that the revision indicated on my Duet Fisher board is 0.6

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 02:02PM by PRZ.
September 01, 2015 05:15PM
Thanks guys.

Is this the 5V output pin that I can connect a 5V fan? I could see clearly on the board yesterday.

PRZ
September 02, 2015 07:06AM
I think it is more simple to set a plug in the expansion connector.
I noted the pins in the photos below.

Bottom photo by 'Roboprint' get from the forum, it is a Replikeo board. Thats the only Duet bottom photo I found.
It is important because there is the pin description.
Other photo probably from RRP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2015 07:07AM by PRZ.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login