Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting Started In Rotorua

Posted by senglish 
Getting Started In Rotorua
August 11, 2012 08:21PM
Hi everyone,

was just wondering what repraps were anywhere near Rotorua.

I am at the very start of the process of getting one up and running. Have a group of secondary students who are quite keen to try making them.

I have also managed to get hold of ex photocopier stepper motors, they appear to be nema 17 and 23 in size but have not yet tested them to see if they will have enough torque for the job.

Any help and suggestions appreciated.

regards
Re: Getting Started In Rotorua
August 11, 2012 09:08PM
We started building our machine as secondary students and then went on to sell a machine to our high school. wee bit on that here. I would say that we learned a lot more practical technical skills building our reprap than we did in our entire high schooling span so its really great to see other high school students keen to build repraps.

Someone you should probably get in touch with is Vik Olliver vik@diamondage.co.nz. He's also really keen on getting high school students reprapping

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 09:10PM by ithinkthatmaybe.
August 14, 2012 04:33AM
Hi, Thanks for that info thinkthatmaybe. some of my students have had a look at your link and have an added keeness.

They have spent the last two days (1 hour each day) at our local photo copy company, have various nema 17 (obout 30) and about 10 nema 24 for use in a couple of milling and other cutting projects that are coming up. Still got two days supply of copiers for the students to work on.

Now they have to learn about stepper driving techniques, we are also setting up a test jig to check torque levels as there are various depths in the motors.

cheers
August 16, 2012 06:43AM
When you say depths do you mean how fat the motors are? I thought a Nema 17 described the torque and hence the size of the motor.
"Ithinkthatmaybe" - I like your Y-axis mount, any chance you could post it as an STL file somewhere?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
August 16, 2012 03:33PM
Hi wired1,

no nema values have nothing to do with torque. the number is a 10th of the size of the motor in inches. ie nema 17 means 1.7 inches in diameter or about 43mm across, nema 24 are 2.4 inches across (about 61 mm)

Some of the motors motors coming out of the copiers are 43 mm across but are 30 mm long and others ar up to 50 mm long. We will be powering them up next week with a test jig to determine the standstill torque and i am expecting the 50 mm long ones to have a higher holding torque value. The test rig is a hose clip clampped on the spindle with a 10cm (actually 20cm, 10 either way) bar on it with a weight hanging off the end.

regards
August 16, 2012 05:36PM
Thanks for that, I have seen both types advertised on fleabay so that explains that. The motors I am using are the 50mm long ones so probably the safe option. The z axis could probably get away with two of the shorter ones as it is less load than all of the other motors plus there are two of them sharing that load. I have noticed my y-axis motor runs the hottest so obviously that one is doing the most work but the X-axis wouldn't be far behind it.

Some of the listings on ebay do mention torque values too so you could have a look at them to see how much torque to expect from the different length motors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
August 16, 2012 09:43PM
August 17, 2012 05:16AM
Thank you, very nice.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
August 18, 2012 04:29AM
Yes have diwnloaded the Y idler too and stored it away for future use once I'm up and running again

August 18, 2012 05:01AM
It lets you modify your y carriage, so that the belts sort of hook on for quick release. I did this by bending the belt back over a nail and zip tying it so the belt teeth would mesh and it wouldn't slip. Then you can just replace the belt clamps with a printed hook. Quite handy if you spend a lot of time modifying your printer
August 18, 2012 11:49PM
There is a time-lapse video on youtube I made when I assembled my Mendel Prusa, might give your students an idea of how it all goes together. Link here: [youtu.be]

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
August 19, 2012 01:10AM
Hi,

Well Peter (Dust) in chch has just emailed saying my plastic parts are finished.

see [4.bp.blogspot.com].

I have bits and pieces flying from all over the world, The only thing I haven't got coming my way are all the smaller nuts and bolts and the smooth steel, which i can get locally. So now all I can do is sit and wait and tell the students that thing will arrive soon.

Have decided to go with 2mm timing belts

regards
September 09, 2012 02:06AM
Hi

Well the first one is up and running. Printing isn't fantastic yet. Need to work on the layer thickness I think. The nozzle is 0.42 mm. What should the layer thickness be? It was set to 0.4 in pronterface.

cheers
September 09, 2012 03:08AM
Good to hear its printing.

About 80% of thickness or thiner
September 09, 2012 05:42AM
Hi Dust,

Thanks, actually have just decided that was a dumb question as we are still calibrating things here. Lots of excited students now that they can see what things look like, most probably shouldn't have got over excited and started printing.

My power supply isn't large enough. drops down to 10 volts when hotend, bed and 4 steppers travelling.

Love the pully covers. Didn't realise what they were to start with. Still have the thin plastic parts with two nuts in, What are they for?

regards
September 09, 2012 05:54AM
Hi Senglish

Everyone does that, Printing before they can walk as it where smiling smiley

I'm guessing you mean the you belt-clamp-nut-holders. They are just to hold the Nuts in place under the belt clamps on the lower platform (if your using a lower platform). They aren't required.
September 09, 2012 06:09AM
aha.

yep thought they were related to the belt clamps due to the hole spacing.

We have learnt lots. damaged one linear bearing, played with the software, openscad is a great way to show the maths behind cad programs

have model of rostok showing the maths of how it works in geogebra 5 beta, a 3d maths graphing/animation program

regards
September 09, 2012 06:21AM
Put up some photos or a link so we can see smiling smiley

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 24, 2012 02:01AM
Oops

Have been away from this for a week or two. After the weekend, now have it printing reasonably. extrusion feed just needed calibration.

Had the first prints with the students, and we will start printing parts for a second printer this week. Dust, what is the link to the ilder pulley covers you made for me. I thought I had found them but have lost them against

I am enjoying the look af amazement as people see real objects forming.

regards
September 24, 2012 03:38AM
The "idler pulley covers" are just the bearing-guides from the standard Prusa Iteration 2 files

If Ive guessed the part you mean smiling smiley

[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login