Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is 1.1.7 (and 1.1.8) too big for Creality Melzi board??

Posted by Key0nee 
Is 1.1.7 (and 1.1.8) too big for Creality Melzi board??
January 12, 2018 12:44PM
Hello all,
Trying to upgrade my CR-10 to 1.1.7 and it wont compile when I enable all the features I want. And I get a warning that “Text” will not fit into text region then the linker throws a fault.

However it will compile fine if i compile without lcd support. Ive also tried compiling with lcd support but without bilinar bed leveling enabled, and it compiles fine.

If it is too big, are there parts of the code that i can omit from the compile??? Maybe like other languages?

Thank you for your help
K

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 12:47PM by Key0nee.
Re: Is 1.1.7 (and 1.1.8) too big for Creality Melzi board??
January 12, 2018 01:24PM
Not sure on this one, but the error leads me to think that the text that is displayed on the LCD is larger than the LCD is capable of displaying.
I very much doubt its what your thinking tho, as I can see in the boards.h file your board is supported on 1.1.8
#define BOARD_MELZI_CREALITY 89 // Melzi Creality3D board (for CR-10 etc)

Two guesses:

first there is a custom field that you can put a printer name on, depending on the model of LCD you have you may get lets say 12 chr and the name you put in there is 14 chr long.
Here is what mine looks like:
// Optional custom name for your RepStrap or other custom machine
// Displayed in the LCD "Ready" message
#define CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME "F.R.E.D. 2.1"

Next, maybe your LCD selection is wrong, lets say you have a 2004 LCD and you have it set for ULTIPANEL (I dont know what the CR10 came with)
maybe this is restricting the txt in some way.

Double check all your LCD settings and make sure there.... shorten your displayed name to something VERY short as a test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 01:26PM by JustSumGuy.
January 13, 2018 03:17AM
Hello JustSumGuy, Thanks for the quick response...

So I got 1.1.8 (also worked with Marlin 1.1.7) compiled and uploaded to my Creality CR10 Melzi board with full LCD support and it appears to be working correctly. Im not a developer but I still think my initial problem is the memory space of the Melzi board... To try and prove it this was my approach.

1. First I tried to compile right after unzipping a "clean" copy of the firmware. Mainly to test my IDE and make sure I had all the dependancies installed.... It linked and compiled fine

2. Then I made changes to tailor the firmware to my Melzi board. This also included support for Bilinear Bed Leveling, SDsupport, Speaker, EEPROM writing, and Babystepping. Compiling failed with a warning about text not fitting in the text region and Ld.exe throwing a fault

3 Next, on a whim, I tried to compile without ABL support. it worked. So I enabled just my must have features. I have an Octoprint server connected so I figured I could get rid of SDsupport, after commenting that out I compiled and uploaded

Everything seems to work fine and the first quick test print came out awesome but I did get a "heating failed" fault. which I need to research more but I think it might be the thermal runaway protection loop being too tight. Again not a developer but it only happens when I start a print with the actual temps already close to the target temp.

I did try a few more combinations that failed. Most were options that allow you to save space like disabling ARC_Support.

I wish I understood this more, I might be able to figure out what other non-essential code is in there to try and get the SDSupport back..

anyway, Thanks again for the quick reply...
I love this stuff

K

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 01:04PM by Key0nee.
January 15, 2018 04:34PM
I never use SD so its always disabled on my builds...

Hmm your heating failed issue, have you run a PID tune yet?

I love this stuff too lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login