Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin homing issue

Posted by Cougar281 
Marlin homing issue
February 29, 2020 10:13PM
I've been running Marlin 1.1.8 for a long time, since I got the CBot version of Marlin and copied the values over to the official Marlin 1.1.8. Marlin 1.1.8 has been rock solid for me, so I tried upgrading to 1.1.9. That worked well, except for one issue: post print homing frequently failed and halted the controller. So I reverted back to 1.1.8 and have been running that since.

I just migrated my settings over to Marlin 2.0, and that seems to work well... except I am still getting the post print 'homing failure' and controller halt that I got with 1.1.9.

Does anyone know why the XY homing would fail like this post print? And only in 1.1.9 and 2.0.x?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 10:21PM by Cougar281.
Re: Marlin homing issue
March 01, 2020 09:52AM
When Flashing marlin firmware you should always restore firmware defaults using.

M502 - Factory Reset
M500 - Save Settings

If this does not correct, - Then.

Upload configurations.h / Configuration_adv.h from Marlin 1.1.8 to a share program like google Drive and post link here.

Upload configurations.h / Configuration_adv.h from Marlin 2.0.4 and/or Marlin 1.1.9BF to a share program like google Drive and post link here.

I will find time to look at the conversion for you.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
March 01, 2020 07:13PM
Thanks for the offer. The odd thing is it doesn't seem to be every print. Last night I ran a short print to test a new filament, and that gave me the homing error. Today, I started a long print before I saw your message and that one finished fine and homed properly after the print. Still, I ran the M502 command you recommended, and after that, the controller essentially went TILT - it halted and I couldn't send the M500 command and had to reset. Maybe the M502 reset it, saved the defaults and halted the controller a part of a normal process... I'll try another print or two and see what happens.

That being said, in the meantime, here are my config files for 1.1.8 and 2.0:

[www.dropbox.com]
[www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2020 07:14PM by Cougar281.
March 01, 2020 07:59PM
Downloaded your configs, will look and see

Here is what I found,

PIDTEMP & PIDTEMPBED are different
EXTRUDE_MAXLENGTH is different
DEFAULT_XJERK is different
DEFAULT_YJERK is different
NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET is different

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2020 08:49PM by Roberts_Clif.

March 02, 2020 03:32PM
Thanks for taking a look - the PIDTEMP & PIDTEMPBED, assuming you're referring to the 'DEFAULT_Kp', 'DEFAULT_Ki' and 'DEFAULT_Kd' values would be different because I don't believe I ever did any PID tuning on 1.1.8, but I did do PID Autotunes on 2.0 and put the learned values into the config so it has the learned values as default. I'm not positive why I made 'EXTRUDE_MAXLENGTH' different. The 'DEFAULT_XJERK' and 'DEFAULT_YJERK' I believe were the default values in 2.0, and I left them lower because I've since upgraded my build plate to a piece of 1/4" tool plate, so I was looking to slow the build plate down a little as I think moving around too fast caused an alignment issue in the print. The 'NOZZLE_TO_PROBE_OFFSET' would be because my Z probe is now in a little different position from where it used to be.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like any of these values would account for it failing to properly home post print (and randomly, at that).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 04:36PM by Cougar281.
March 02, 2020 07:26PM
I remember When I flashed a new version of Marlin on one of my controllers, it failed and went thru some strange process after double checking everything.
Nothing seemed to fix the problem.

Until I re-flashed the same Version a few times, each time restoring The Firmware's defaults, then it started working correctly.
Afterwords I upgraded to newer versions of marlin and have never had any similar occurrences during flashing my firmware to this controller...

March 02, 2020 09:03PM
Do you think that when I ran the M502, it actually cleared whatever 'scratch space' is used for non-volatile settings and did in fact reset it to defaults, even though I was unable to run a M500? So far I've had three prints, one before running the M502 and two after that didn't fail to home after the print; Of course now that I've said that, I'll probably start getting more failures lol.

Edit: Interesting... have another interesting finding... I just reverted back to 1.1.8 to test out another possible issue (I have a print that I need to make six of in total, and when printed on 1.1.8, after I sliced them to 100.5% size, the ones I printed on 1.1.8 were perfect, but on 2.0 at the same 100.5% slicing, it was a tad too tight). After I uploaded the 1.1.8 firmware and ran the M502, it didn't halt or reset... It did that after I ran the M500. So maybe running M502 on 2.0 is the same as running M502 and then M500 on 1.1.8?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 09:10PM by Cougar281.
March 03, 2020 06:09AM
Have you activated the Marlins EEprom functions if not or if you are having problems. You can try this with a LCD Menu option.

Using marlin 2 menu Click encoder > change to Configuration
Click encoder change to "Restore Failsafe" to get Data back from firmware
Click encoder change to "Store Settings" to save the data

M500, M501 and M502 are Save Memory, Load Memory, and Restore Failsafe options on the LCD menu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login