Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UBL Issue: Can't Use Full Build Plate - Z Screws Move Print Head Down When Near Right and Rear Edges of Build Plateconfused smiley

Posted by Alterius Omega 
Hi all, I'm having an issue with Marlin Unified Bed Leveling. It works great on most of the build plate but I can't print near the right or rear edges of the print bed because when I get within a couple centimeters, the nozzle dives down and gets too close to the bed to print. In the photo you can see that the corners of this print are squished down all the way so as to be basically non-existent even though the bed is level and mostly flat.

When this happens I can see that the Z screws are moving drastically down then up again. I output my UBL mesh map to my computer and there is nothing weird like 0 values on the edges or anything like that. All of the mesh values are reasonable and I put them into a mesh visualizer and it all looks continuous and smooth with a slight bowl shape. I also did "smart fill" via the LCD screen after building the mesh to fill in the spots where the sensor couldn't probe so the mesh is full and complete.

It's a clear boundary, not a gradual change, like an invisible force field on the right side and rear sides of the build plate. To clarify, the print head can move past this invisible line just fine all the way to the real edge, but whenever it's in this region, the nozzle gets pushed down against the plate by the Z screws so no filament can come out.

It's as if the UBL thinks it's going past the edge of the print bed when it's not. My BLTouch is mounted to the left of the nozzle so it's not an issue with it not being able to probe these areas as the sensor can easily access and probe these spots.

When I compiled Marlin, I used the exact measurements of this particular BLTouch mount which I got from the manufacturer/seller for the offsets so I'm pretty confident that part is configured properly. Is there something else I need to change in Marlin to allow UBL to work across the whole build plate?

Thanks!

-Sam

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2020 05:11PM by Alterius Omega.
Attachments:
open | download - 3D printing UBL edge issue.jpg (623.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login