Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to make ABL for rotary engraver

Posted by Jc3D 
Trying to make ABL for rotary engraver
October 06, 2023 01:15PM
Hi,

I recently built a rotary laser engraver with some part laying around and as you probably know, it is never finish and always need new upgrades.

To make this short, I am trying to make ABL create a mesh that follow an oddly shaped wine glass. I aim at probing X at multiple points then copy the "line" created to every Y point creating a mesh that varies only in the X direction.

The problem so far is that the "line" is so crooked that marlin stops probing after 2 or 3 points.

I am looking for someone who know more than me about marlin coding to tell me if this is a limitation or a misconfiguration by my part. If it can be modified or implemented and if so, where should I start looking. Or maybe someone already did this but I could not find anyting.

I have been able to make it move as I wanted by manually modifying the mesh but it takes ages. So I know marlin can handle a weird mesh like this.

Thank you very much for your time and have a nice day!
(Sorry, english is not my first language.)

Jc3D
Re: Trying to make ABL for rotary engraver
October 06, 2023 02:27PM
Check the setting of Z_PROBE_LOW_POINT. It should be lower than the M114 results when leveling is disabled and the nozzle is touching the lowest part of the glass.

If the M114 result above is below zero then having MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Z enabled will abort the probing early.
Re: Trying to make ABL for rotary engraver
October 07, 2023 11:13AM
Thanks for the reply, It indeed helped (I think) to set Z_PROBE_LOW_POINT at a ridiculous amount and MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOP_Z was already disabled.

One of the problem is that let say the limit on X is set to 100mm, I would probe X0, then got to X100 then stop because somehow it wanted to probe X105. I tested with different numbers and the amount it want to test outside X bound varies from test to tests.

It did work on a water bottle that is flat but was sitting at nearly 30 degrees.

Funny side note, I juste realised that Lightburn work in relative coordinates which complicate things a bit for the mesh.

I'll keep posting if I get a breaktrough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login