Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SKR 2, 2209's and a homing mess

Posted by Mr Kroll 
SKR 2, 2209's and a homing mess
October 08, 2023 05:15PM
I am using the sensor less homing set up. with the 2209's

After upgrading to 2.1.2.1 I have a homing mess. After start up it will home 1 time from Pronterface, or 1 time from the TFT. After that if I try to home, it looses its positions and tries to home out of the machine boundaries, or the axis barely moves, or both

I have also noticed that when I upgraded my TFT Firmware, it saves a bunch of gibberish files to the sdcard after I flash the firmware. The card has to be FORMATTED to get rid of them. They seem to be a part of print "restart" after a power out. (not needed for this machine)

I have attached my con.h, con adv.h, pins file and my TFT .ini. files.

Does anyone know what is causing the gibberish files, and how to stop them from being saved to the sdcard?

How do I fix the homing mess?

Thank you in advance, Shane

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2023 05:19PM by Mr Kroll.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (124.1 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (173.2 KB)
open | download - config.ini (39.3 KB)
open | download - pins_BTT_SKR_V2_0_common.h (16.9 KB)
Re: SKR 2, 2209's and a homing mess
October 08, 2023 06:03PM
Right now SENSORLESS_BACKOFF_MM is set to { 0, 0, 0 }. Try { 5, 5, 0}.

Try enabling IMPROVE_HOMING_RELIABILITY and/or TMC_HOME_PHASE. Both are supposed to improve homing reliability.

If that doesn't work then try adjusting the X_STALL_SENSITIVITY and Y_STALL_SENSITIVITY.
October 08, 2023 06:25PM
I set SENSORLESS_BACKOFF_MM to 5,5,0 & I enabled IMPROVE_HOMING_RELIABILITY and TMC_HOME_PHASE.

It refused to home, X moved a small amount, Y moved a small amount, Z moved right out of bounds.

The stall sensitivity seems perfect for x and Y when it does actually home.

Any other Ideas?

I am wondering if I have a problem with my TFT? (the way it is saving files to the SDCARD)
October 09, 2023 07:10PM
Just curious, when setting driver type in configuration.h, What is the difference between setting them as TMC 2209 or TMC 2209_STANDALONE?
October 09, 2023 10:42PM
The standalone setting means no UART/SPI communications with the TMC chips. This results in not having access to the smart features of the chip.
October 10, 2023 04:46PM
Thanks Bob
October 10, 2023 05:21PM
I had an old SKR_2 controller Running Marlin 2.0.9.6 that I could never get ABL to function correctly on, Late last year, or earlier this year? I replaced it. trying to solve the problem.
Typical of trying to solve a problem by throwing parts at something it didn't fix my ABL problem.
What finally did was a newer version of Marlin.

So last Night, I swapped the controller out, using all the other existing hardware & setup.
What do you know, Homing worked perfectly, and ABL still didn't work correctly.

This tells me my TFT is not the issue, that It is not the wiring, that it's not mechanical in nature, that it is not the 2209's.

So of course the next thing I did was compile Marlin 2.0.9.7 and flashed the firmware. UGGG
As you might expect, homing is still not working more than once.

My Troubleshooting is now defined as;

1. Have I misconfigured Marlin? ( any help with my configs would be appreciated)
  2. Have I set VS Code up incorrectly? (even though it compiles without error)
  3. Is there a problem with VS Code itself? ( doubtful, since others aren't all over the I Net screaming of problems)
  4. Is there a problem with Marlin? ( doubtful since it is happening for me in different releases)
  5. Are there any concepts that I have missed? ( anyone?)

Does any one have any other ideas?
October 22, 2023 12:40PM
PROBLEM SOLVED, Maybe this information can help someone else to get their printer running how they would like it to.

with the newer version of marlin, Sensorless homing was was quite different to get working reliably and smoothly.

In version 2.0.x.x theses were my settings. It worked very smoothly, and correctly absolutely every time.

#define SENSORLESS_BACKOFF_MM { 0, 0, 0 }
#define X_STALL_SENSITIVITY 125
#define X2_STALL_SENSITIVITY X_STALL_SENSITIVITY
#define Y_STALL_SENSITIVITY 130
#define Y2_STALL_SENSITIVITY Y_STALL_SENSITIVITY

In Version 2.1.2.1

#define SENSORLESS_BACKOFF_MM { 2, 2, 0 }
#define HOMING_BUMP_MM { 0, 0, 0 }
#define X_STALL_SENSITIVITY 60
#define X2_STALL_SENSITIVITY X_STALL_SENSITIVITY
#define Y_STALL_SENSITIVITY 65
#define Y2_STALL_SENSITIVITY Y_STALL_SENSITIVITY

Very rough and inconsistent, but would home both axis every time
If I increased the sensitivity on x it failed to home consistently at this point

through trial and error I adjusted

#define X_CURRENT_HOME X_CURRENT - 250
#define Y_CURRENT_HOME Y_CURRENT - 300

these numbers are all probably machine specific, but will give people the idea of what I found worked.
If I lowered the current any more than this it got way too rough and inconsistent homing
I found x axis was still to rough
I now readjusted the x sensitivity through trial and error

#define X_STALL_SENSITIVITY 75

I don't know why adjusting them in this order changed things, but they now work consistently and smoothly
That being said, once in a while it still gives me the middle finger. I.E. - When I ran the Z-offset Wizard, (it homed, and I thought X was going to tear itself apart.)

Thank you very much Bob for all that you do in the 3d printing community
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login