Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X, Y not moving.

Posted by lar3ry 
X, Y not moving.
July 19, 2018 04:02PM
I am in the process of building a CoreXY machine, and have the mechanical parts (including the stepper motors) of the X, Y and Z axes installed. I wanted to stop at this point and try moving the X and Y axes.with their steppers. I did not install any end stops yet.

So I programmed my Atmega 2560 with a RAMPS 1.4, using a config file that looks good to me (got it from a facebook posting). I then connected the X and Y steppers, fired up Repetier Host, and connected to the printer. I sent a G92, then a G1 X10 then a G1 Y10, but neither one produces any motion.

My question is, is there a likelihood of something in Marlin preventing me from moving the X and Y, or should I troubleshoot the hardware? Do I need to Home the axes first?
Re: X, Y not moving.
July 19, 2018 10:13PM
if your running a random configuration from facebook, who knows what that has set...

the motherboard (reprap controller) needs to match your motherboard

corexy needs to be enabled

yes you need endstops as most printers are setup so if the endstops are disconnected they are triggered, so you have all endstops triggerd so nothing will move.

And yes you need to home so it knows where it is, otherwise power on is 0 and it wont move -ve past that point
Re: X, Y not moving.
July 20, 2018 01:58AM
Dust
if your running a random configuration from facebook, who knows what that has set...

Gotcha. However, it wasn't random. It was on the Hypercube Evolution, posted by someone who is using it.I figured it was easiest to use that as a base.

Dust
the motherboard (reprap controller) needs to match your motherboard

Could be a problem, I'll have to check it out to see if the fellow that supplied it uses a Mega2560/RAMPS. I think he does.

Dust
corexy needs to be enabled

It is. I also looked over all the settings, referring to some guides on RAMPS setup.

Dust
yes you need endstops as most printers are setup so if the endstops are disconnected they are triggered, so you have all endstops triggerd so nothing will move.

This is likely the problem. I had not considered that. Thanks.

Dust
And yes you need to home so it knows where it is, otherwise power on is 0 and it wont move -ve past that point

Right. I thought I could get it moving by centering the x/y manually, sending a G92 to set all axis positions to 0, then moving in small increments. But again, it's likely the endstops not being connected.

While trying to get things moving, I could not get the X or Y steppers to move, and wondered about homing. Tried it with Repetier, and heard some soft chirping sounds that turned out to be the piezo element on the display. Not sure what that meant, so I pressed the stop button on the display while it was chirping. The puff of smoke was a surprise, to say the least. I'm not sure if it fried the RAMPS board, but the 2560 is toast. I have another 2560, so I'll try it with the RAMPS, but leave the display off.

I may just go for a Duet WiFi or Smoothieboard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login