Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Extruder Retracts after each G1 command

Posted by CDorn 
My Extruder Retracts after each G1 command
March 04, 2022 07:25AM
So the problem is as follows:
when I manually send a G1 command like (G1 F200 E1) the printer extrudes nice and slow but 'retracts' to the starting position very fast.
Anytime I extrude a certain length of filament, the extruder retracts the same lenth it seems.
What could be the cause and how can I stop that from happening? smiling smiley

For more Info how I initialise the Printer:
M104 S230
M105
M109 S230
M82
G28
G92 E0
G1 F200 E3
G92 E0
G92 E0
G92 E0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2022 08:04AM by CDorn.
Re: My Extruder Retracts after each G1 command
March 04, 2022 08:38AM
I wonder if you've been caught by something that got me in my early printing days... relative and absolute movements on the extruder.

I would feed say 100mm of filament, then call for 2.5mm of retraction. Instead of just winding back a little bit, it would take the filament right out of the extruder! Let's say that you start from an initial position of 0 steps, call for 1000 steps on the extruder motor, then call for 25 steps of retraction. In relative mode the extruder would just count back 25 steps. If you're in absolute mode then it take the extruder back 975 steps, to extruder position of 25. A long-winded way of saying that the extruder should be relative mode!

In other words, you need an M83 command somewhere in your startup code... "set extruder to relative mode".

Note: I've typed this on the spur of the moment so, if anyone knows better, please correct me!

I'll correct myself! Absolute v. relative is likely to be your problem, but my commands are wrong. I suggest that you take advice from someone who's more up to date than me (it's been a few years since I hit this problem).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2022 09:25AM by David J.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login