Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMC2225 replaced with TMC2209 on extruder. Serious overextruding problem

Posted by Dant3 
TMC2225 replaced with TMC2209 on extruder. Serious overextruding problem
December 01, 2022 07:30AM
Hello,

I have a Two Trees Sapphire Plus with MKS Robin Nano v1.2 motherboard and 5xTMC2225 stepper drivers.
Because those don't support Linear Advance and since it's cheap I replaced the extruder driver with a TMC2209 to enable Linear Advance.
I changed the driver type in the firmware with the appropriate one. I calibrated the extruder and when asked to extrude 100mm it does so but when I start a print ,it over extrudes a lot. The print gets so squishy that eventually it bumps on hotend and messes everything up.
Also the motor makes loud metal noises when retracting.
If I replace the 2209 with the 2225 and flash the stock firmware, it works fine.Same happens with Linear Advance on or off.
I updated my firmware (I was using Marlin Bugfix 2.0.9 and updated to Bugfix 2.1.2) but no change.

TLDR. Changed extruder stepper from 2225 to 2209, changed the type in the firmware but extruder overextrudes when printing. When manually asking for 100mm it extrudes 100mm.
I use Cura with no changes to profile with either stepper driver.

Is there something else that should be changed in the firmware or the stepper driver?Maybe a jumper or some other setting?
All drivers are on standalone mode.

Thanks
Re: TMC2225 replaced with TMC2209 on extruder. Serious overextruding problem
December 03, 2022 04:38AM
I found the culprit.
It was most propably a Marlin bug or else I have serious eyesight problem.
2 years now I have the E steps at 820. Even after changing to 2209 I checked and when asked for 100mm it extruded 100mm. But when printing it over extruded.
I updated the firmware, did a calibration at E steps and noticed that with this newer firmware ,with 820 steps it extruded 200mm when asked for 100mm. So I halved the E steps and everything is fine now.
Time to calibrate the Linear Advance now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login