Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta Radius and Hotend Not Centered on the Effector

Posted by KeepGettingTexts 
Delta Radius and Hotend Not Centered on the Effector
June 16, 2016 10:54AM
Hi Guys -

First post here, but I've been consuming tons and tons of info from this forum, thanks for the great resource.

At any rate, I finished building my first printer, based on dc42's large delta printer design. The only differences are that I have magball arms, an E3D Cyclops hotend, I used one of the remixes on Thingiverse for the carriage trucks, and I came up with a design to spring load the bed.

The reason I went the route I did was because I don't have a 3D printer, nor does anyone I know, so I paid 3dhubs to have the carriage trucks and the IR sensor mount printed, and those were the only printed parts I needed to assemble this. After it was up and running, I was able to print some smaller parts, like custom endstop mounts, and the spring holders for the bed. Unfortunately, the Chinese sellers on ali don't offer CAD files so I couldn't model them and figure out a precise Delta Radius number.

After quite a bit of calibration, and searching the duet forum furiously, I have come to find that my main problem was my Delta Radius number was slightly off causing my effector to move in a convex motion. I have it working better, not perfect, but at least it's not pushing into the glass so much that it stops material from being extruded.

My main question is, how do I compensate for the off centered hotend, or can I even, or do I even need to? Do I need to have a new effector with the hotend centered? I can post whatever files needed and pictures. Perhaps I've been chasing my own tail too long, and I don't know which way is up any longer.

I've attached my config.g, and the style of effector I use is this one Effector. If anyone sees any glaring oversights, please let me know.

Thanks -

Jay
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (4.1 KB)
Re: Delta Radius and Hotend Not Centered on the Effector
June 16, 2016 03:00PM
As you have the Duet and IR sensor, you should be able to use auto calibration to find the delta radius. If you increase the Z dive height for calibration to r.g. 20mm then you only need a very approximate delta radius configured to start with. See [reprap.org] if you haven't already.

I don't think it should matter if your print nozzle is not in line with the centre of the effector, it just means that the (0,0) position won't be right at the centre of the bed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login