Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Time-lapse in Duet?

Posted by lhartmann 
Time-lapse in Duet?
November 03, 2016 10:10PM
One idea and one question.:

IDEA: It just occurred to me that, if we use an IP camera then duet may have enough processing power to grab frames to the sdcard.

Also pretty much everybody has an old cellphone lying around, and there are IP camera apps for free. I do use one with a galaxy nexus and octoprint.

While you could do time-lapse just with a phone, having duet control the frame grabbing allows for Z-synced or gcode controlled timelapses. With just a little slicer tweaking we would be able to get good timelapses on an i3-style printer, just by moving the bed to the right Y coordinate before grabbing a frame.

Granted that you still need to join all jpgs into an mp4 later, but that is quick work on a computer.

QUESTION: Is there a gcode that can trigger an http request from duet? I ask because the IP camera phone app has a special link that causes the phone to grab an image to it's own memory, and therefore any storage services it has installed (dropbox, owncloud, google drive...).
Re: Time-lapse in Duet?
November 05, 2016 09:23AM
Sparkfun used to have a camera you could trigger by grounding an input pin, and it would save images to an SD card. Something like that should be easy to interface with a Duet smiling smiley
November 07, 2016 01:27PM
Just curious, but could you simply film video, then use OpenCV to process the video, grabbing frames and generating a time lapse when it detects the hotend at a specific point?
November 11, 2016 10:36PM
@tomasf: I just saw that camera yesterday demoed on YouTube. :-) Using that would be simple, except most people don't have one, and pretty much everyone has an old cellphone around. Also downloading the images (printer - > pc) over wifi feels more practical than sdcard.

@Kurza: That is possible, probably not even that hard. My particular phone would not be good, though, as it has not enough memory for 12h video, and can only encode 720p (480p over tcp). If using stills I could do 4k timelapses.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login