Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

motors / electronics on the cheap ?

Posted by oly 
oly
motors / electronics on the cheap ?
December 02, 2009 09:12AM
I am thinking about building a reprap / repstrap i can build the structure myself with out much trouble but would like to source the electronics / stepper motors can any one recommend places i can get these parts ?

I am aware of [www.bitsfrombytes.com] which is an option for the electronics but they do not seem to have the stepper motors, ideally i need to keep the price down to around £200-£300.

Any suggestions to help me keep the cost down ?

I like the idea of the complete kit but just can not justify £750 so will build most out of parts which are readily available to me.
Re: motors / electronics on the cheap ?
December 02, 2009 10:50AM
Check out the Mendel M4 assembly data Sheet, or my blog at repraplogphase.blogspot.com, I just finished an electronics tab for the Mendel.

It did not include the Bits From Bytes kits because it is a proprietary offshoot of the RepRap Firmware. Basically means hackers around the world don't have access to all the firmware/software related to the boards.

If you find other options for the Open Source versions of the RepRap firmware, please post them or update the Wiki!!

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
oly
December 02, 2009 03:37PM
thats great thanks
oly
December 02, 2009 05:56PM
is there an import tax on the makerbot DIY electronics to the uk ?
Anyone any experience and if there is how much is it ?
December 02, 2009 06:35PM
Yes VAT and Parcel force handling charge of £8 or perhaps £13.50 now.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 02, 2009 06:38PM
Cheaper and more suitable motors in the UK from here: [www.slidesandballscrews.com]

Can't vouch for them yet but seems to be the same spec that Bath use, but with dual shaft.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 03, 2009 03:39PM
nophead those are cheaper than the motion control products units, you may want to stick them on the mendel BOM.
oly
December 03, 2009 04:41PM
out of intrest if i get the electronics can i build any style reprap ie a darwin and a mendel i ask so i know weather its a good idea to deviate from the online designs.
I guess its more down to the firmware on the electronics than anything is that correct ?
December 06, 2009 06:12AM
oly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> out of intrest if i get the electronics can i
> build any style reprap ie a darwin and a mendel i
> ask so i know weather its a good idea to deviate
> from the online designs.
> I guess its more down to the firmware on the
> electronics than anything is that correct ?

Depends on your skills, you may want to consider getting a working machine first and then if you want to make modifications afterwards without compromising the working machine.

But you may feel you want the challenge of building your own, its a matter of personal opinion.

The question you need to ask yourself is, if I went with the development route, would I complete it?

If the answer is 'not sure' go with a kit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login