Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot end temp stuck too low

Posted by largecamel 
Hot end temp stuck too low
November 01, 2011 05:51PM
Hi I'm trying to build my first printer using a Wades extruder and a Maker Gear hotend pack. I'm having trouble getting the temp of the hot end above about 210 deg C or so. The resistance of the nicrom (sp?) wire is about 5.5 ohms which seems to be within spec. I've used both Repsnapper and Pronterface and manually set the temp to 240 C but even after 30 minutes it never makes temp. My ABS obviously won't feed at this temperature. Is this a software issue or is my hotend not built correctly? I ask because the red LED on my Gen 6 board cycles on and off instead of staying on until the temp is reached.

This is my first build - and indeed I am very new at this so bear with me!

Thanks!
Re: Hot end temp stuck too low
January 13, 2012 04:03PM
I'm having a similar problem! We can't even get ours to heat up! It's just stuck at 22 degrees celsius (room temp).
Any help would be appreciated!
Re: Hot end temp stuck too low
February 18, 2012 02:28AM
@largecamel: Does it heat up at all? Did you insulate it? is there a fan blowing at it? is the thermistor hooked up to the right input?

@ElectroTurk: sounds like your thermistor is hooked up correctly. With the power off, disconnect the heater wires and measure the resistance with a multimeter. it should read ~5-6 ohms. connect the wires back up and power it up, switch the multimeter to volts and test for 12V across those same wires. (make sure you don't short anything out with the probes, wrap them with electrical tape)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login