Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3mm hobbed bolt and extruder with 1.75mm filament?

Posted by paindoc 
3mm hobbed bolt and extruder with 1.75mm filament?
December 21, 2012 02:23AM
Hello! I recently ordered the final part for my MendelMax, this extruder :RTQ:US:1123" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">here (sorry for weird link)

The seller said it was for 3mm, and I've heard of both successes and failures when printing with extruders too big for filament. CCecil on IRC(owner of robosprout.com) offered to send me a 1.75mm body but that still leaves me with a 3mm bolt. What can I do to increase my chances of extruding before the other one arrives from CCecil?
Re: 3mm hobbed bolt and extruder with 1.75mm filament?
December 21, 2012 11:35AM
I'm using a standard Wades extruder and a generic hobbed bolt on 1.75mm filament without issues.
Unless the bolt is hobbed so deeply the filament doesn't touch the idler, I can't really see how it's an issue.
Re: 3mm hobbed bolt and extruder with 1.75mm filament?
December 29, 2012 04:02PM
Polygonhell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm using a standard Wades extruder and a generic
> hobbed bolt on 1.75mm filament without issues.
> Unless the bolt is hobbed so deeply the filament
> doesn't touch the idler, I can't really see how
> it's an issue.

It can be an issue if the extruder body is designed with tight clearances for the filament path, in order to prevent the filament from kinking between the drive bolt and the nozzle.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen anyone sell a different hobbed bolt for 1.75mm filament - usually it's just the filament path in the extruder body that changes.

For using your existing extruder body, you could try lining the filament channel with plastic tubing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login