Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blue and Black Specs in ABS

Posted by checkit13 
Blue and Black Specs in ABS
May 15, 2013 01:03PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and hoping I may be able to obtain some good information. I work in plastic extrusion for sheet and was wondering if anyone knew about the blue and black specs phenomenon.

It seems that everyone is aware of each of the issues, but no one has been able to find a "fix" per se.

The black specs I understand to be degraded polymer, which can result from hot zones or areas where material can hang up. I am working to identify those areas, but it is a bit of a challenge. And just so we are clear, the degree of black specs are not something that you can see at 3' or anything. These are tiny little specs that you must look closely to find.

Regarding the blue specs, I have heard several theories regarding blue jean fibers, undispursed color, and even the color of paint that inside the transporting rail cars. Under a microscope, the edges of the blue spec appear cloudy, as though it is trying blend, and then becomes very sharp/distinct towards the center. The shape is similar to a thin tail.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I know these may be issues that have plagued everyone at one time or another, and I am prepared to hear that there is no sure-fire fix but hoping to get some insight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login