Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glow Plug 3D Extruder

Posted by atomkemp 
Glow Plug 3D Extruder
December 14, 2013 07:32AM
Hi all,

I want to share share with you all my design for a 1.75mm extruder that doesn't require any 3D printed parts and can be made mostly from scrap. The extruder features a 0.4mm nozzle (from McMaster), simple hobbed-bolt and screw tensioner, and a diesel engine glow plug for heat. I use this extruder in my cobbled together "trashbot" which relies on a grblshield (now gShield), Arduino Diecimila, Teacup firmware and Slic3r to get some really beautiful prints.

The fine people at MAKE: have recently posted my build on their projects site where you can find complete details on the build (Glow Plug 3D Extruder) and you can find the design file on my Thingiverse page (Design Files)

Thanks!

Twitter: @atomkemp
Thingiverse: [bit.ly]
Check out my latest book, The Makerspace Workbench, for everything from setting up your shop to running your machines: [amzn.to]
Attachments:
open | download - completeExtruder.jpg (39.3 KB)
open | download - hotEnd.jpg (15 KB)
open | download - withoutHardware.jpg (35.2 KB)
open | download - gnomeTest.png (555.4 KB)
Re: Glow Plug 3D Extruder
December 14, 2013 04:08PM
was that nylon that you put inside the tube?
thanks
December 14, 2013 04:45PM
Its PTFE from McMaster: [www.mcmaster.com]

Great stuff. It withstands the temperatures, is only 0.25mm wider than the filament, and doesn't jam.

Cheers!
November 05, 2014 11:46AM
Hi there Atom, awesome idea by the way,
I recently got my printer motors to behave after months of problems and was inspired by your glow plug idea for my repstrap (I didn't follow your design but mine's very similar all with hand machined aluminum). I'm just now at the point of testing all my thermal components and using PID autotune and such but I dont think my glow plug is putting out any heat whatsoever. I'm using 18 gauge which i think should be thick enough, and printing pla (so only 185deg).
I was just wondering if there was any funky tweaking type stuff you had to mess with to get it working...any advice would be much appreciated since i've been dealing with those funky terrible mysterious problems for months now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login