Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap for 28mm Scale 3D models

Posted by Max 
Max
RepRap for 28mm Scale 3D models
December 31, 2009 10:32AM
Hi guys,

After reading some of the forums here, I have a couple of questions. However, before I lay those out, I'd like to say this is a great project smiling smiley I've been looking at the commercial solutions for 3D printing/rapid prototyping, and the costs were astronomical (at least for a starving college student). This is one of the very few that I've found which look promising and are affordable smiling smiley

That being said, I'm seeking to develop 28mm scale miniatures-- if you've ever played Warhammer/Warhammer 40,000 by Games Workshop (www.games-workshop.com), you know the type. I'd love to use RepRap to rapid prototype some of the models I'm developing in Blender (similar to 3Ds Max) so I can build molds based off of them.

My issue is in the resolution of RepRap. The 28mm scale miniatures are typically very detailed, and I'm concerned that RepRap may not be able to create this fine of detail. I've looked at some of the example images on the main site, and almost all of the layers look "coarse" (large thickness in the z axis).

So, my questions are:

1) Would you recommend using RepRap for a project such as this?
2) Is it possible to increase the resolution for any of the axes? I'm especially concerned about the z-axis resolution (.3mm) being too large.
3) If it is possible, how would you recommend going about achieving such resolution?

Again, despite the issues I have, this is a great project smiling smiley Keep up the good work!

-Max
Re: RepRap for 28mm Scale 3D models
January 14, 2010 08:20AM
If you are looking to build figures... you certainly are not going to get close to the quality of the GW plastics. But you could certainly get something usable in dreadnaught or tank size. However it will need considerable finishing to remove the distinctive ridged finish you get with FDM.

Plus there are the restrictions you get with overhangs n sutch.

If you want to create an STL I'm quite happy to give it a go (although I am kinda busy franticly printing mendel parts right now!)

Its something I have been thinking about for a while (I used to play 40k). Just remember that GW tend to be very protective of their copyright and IP!

And its certainly worth trying! If nothing else we could end up working for forgeworld winking smiley
January 18, 2010 03:08PM
There is an interesting discussion about using acetone to finish ABS. It gives it a glossy finish.

[groups.google.com]

It may be that with the right mixture of acetone and ABS you can make the layering effect disappear. Perhaps with a few coats.

As for changing the Z resolution it is straight forward. You can set that value in Skeinforge to whatever you want and then you have to decrease the flow rate so you don't end up with too much material in each layer. I've seen images where people have printed 0.25mm layers using a 0.5mm nozzle. I think you could get even smaller by using a smaller nozzle. My Z stepper motor takes 320 steps per mm so that clearly isn't a problem.

As a general rule though, improving the resolution will increase the build time. I think this, more than physical limitations is why most people are printing with a Z-resolution around 0.5mm.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
January 21, 2010 03:06AM
Also, I think we'll see much finer detail once the Surface Deposition Manufacturing group starts figuring stuff out. With a Taig mill and a fine tip endmill, we will achieve wonders beyond imagination.

I hope. Anyway, that thread's over there:
[dev.forums.reprap.org]
January 21, 2010 10:14AM
When you are looking for this size with this detail i think RepRap is definitely not suitable at the moment. The resolution is one thing but overhangs will be more of a problem and the melting problems with such a small parts. To be fair, even the commercial machine are having a hard time with this type of work. Shapeways recommends a min. feature size of 1-2 mm.
Reprap is suitable for 'dollsize' stuff. My headscan works realy well and the face is 45mm: [www.thingiverse.com]

When you want to start a small bussines around your own designs, look at shapeways.com. They let you set up a shop online, they give you a quote for your 3d file and you can specify how much profit you want when others order one of your models.
December 23, 2011 09:41PM
What about scaling the whole game up?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login