Variability in ABS Colors & Suppliers
June 16, 2011 07:07PM
I just started on a roll of black ABS from MakerGear, and my extruder is shredding it (not pushing through). I had been printing with Safety Orange (MakerGear), Royal Blue (MakerGear), and Red (from Ultimachine) prior to that with no problems. The filaments from MakerGear all feel softer to me than the Ultimachine ABS.

Has anyone else tried multiple sources, and found this kind of variability?

I typically print my ABS at 250. The Safety Orange worked better at 260. I have a feeling the black ABS might need a lower temperature...

I'm going to clean up the extruder, and try some of my leftovers, just to make sure it's not the extruder that's just misbehaving.
Re: Variability in ABS Colors & Suppliers
June 17, 2011 11:38AM
I think I've verified that the problem is the black ABS filament. None of the other colors are shreding. Diameters are all pretty much the same.

What gave it away is that when I ran the other colors through at high speeds, the stepper stalled, but with the black ABS, it just chewed right through it like butter.
June 17, 2011 02:58PM
Hmm. No trouble here with MakerGear black ABS. I've been using very similar settings to what I used for their white or green. I'm using 1.75mm filament, with the extruder heated to 200 or 205.

I did have a jam in the nozzle shortly after starting with the black, resulting in the extruder stripping the filament. I cleaned the nozzle with a torch, and all has been well since.
June 19, 2011 11:56AM
There was a problem with a batch of black ABS. Contact us to get it replaced.

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login