Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting Autodesk Inventor file from Inches to milimeters

Posted by jbernardis 
Converting Autodesk Inventor file from Inches to milimeters
February 07, 2013 10:14PM
I am trying to print some parts for my local high school First Robotics Competition, and they do all of their "drafting" in inches. I do all of my printing in metric. I tried interactively with my printer setting units to inches, and then also interactively entering some movement commands, and it still seemed to move in millimeters. I assumed, for example that a "G1 X1 Y1" would move to the (1 inch/1 inch) point instead of (1 mm, 1mm). Maybe my assumption is wrong, but I decided it would be easier to just convert the drawing to metric.

I tried scaling by 25.4, but the resulting drawing was massive, far exceeding the bounds of the heatbed (the part is only about 5 inches long). Upon further comparison of the STL file I exported and the original ipt file, I came to the conclusion that Autodesk must internally represent drawings as metric, and further, the base unit seems to be 0.1 mm - at least that seems to be what was exported in the STL file.

The bottom line is that I scaled the STL file by 10 and the print was perfect.

This just seemed odd to me.
Re: Converting Autodesk Inventor file from Inches to milimeters
February 08, 2013 03:01AM
If you had to scale it by 10 then they use centimeters internally.
10 mm = 1 cm.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Re: Converting Autodesk Inventor file from Inches to milimeters
February 08, 2013 03:10PM
The maybe it was scale down. In the STL file, I measured a dimension with meshlab at about 100 units. Turns out that the US measurement within the CAD program was 0.4 inches - about 10 millimeters. So I had to convert from 100 to 10.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login