Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Air Multiplier?

Posted by Greg Frost 
Air Multiplier?
November 08, 2011 04:08AM
Anyone have the aerodynamic skills to design an open source thing like this?

[www.bladelessfanstore.com]
Re: Air Multiplier?
November 08, 2011 11:50PM
Greg Frost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone have the aerodynamic skills to design an
> open source thing like this?
>
> [www.bladelessfanstore.com]

That's a pretty blatant rip-off of Dyson.

However, designing a printable fan like that would be pretty cool.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
November 09, 2011 02:02AM
To be honest, I thought I was linking to the Dyson Air Multiplier... On closer inspection I dont see Dyson mentioned anywhere on the site. They look just like the Dyson fans though.

But back to practicalities, I wonder if the ridges on a printed version of this would prevent laminar air flow and whether that would prevent it from working. It would obviously be pretty easy for us to print an approximate profile to match the ones shown on that site, but im not sure whether having done that it would work properly.

Where would we stand if we made something like this? Would Dyson come after us with their lawyers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 02:04AM by Greg Frost.
November 09, 2011 12:32PM
March 18, 2012 03:54PM
You mean the Dyson fan that uses the technology directly taken from patents of this guy. He wanted to make planes fly with is the only difference. The dust removal system he uses on his vacuum is also another technology that already exsisted long before Dyson put in on a vacuum. He was just the first to do so.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Don't get me wrong I like Dyson but he did not invent the core technology of many of his "Inventions". We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

Make your Mendel twice as accurate.
[www.thingiverse.com]
April 05, 2012 05:49PM
So has anyone reprapped an air multiplier? Does it work? How did you do it/what support structure is best? I've seen some designs on thingiverse but they didnt look like they would print well on a reprap.
July 30, 2012 06:35AM
I think designing one is pretty simple Greg.

The important part of the design is the air foil, where air is forced through to create that wind tunnel.

Basically, cut a dyson in half, then sketch out that profile in Solidworks.

Do a rotational extrude to get the circular air foil. Ensure scale is correct.

Then for the base section, simply do a circular cut into the airfoil, then extrude a cylinder for the impeller.

Then just print the 3d model, and fit your own fan/impeller into the cylindrical part...and voila, dyson air multiplier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login