Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5 colour printhead design

Posted by OmegaAF 
5 colour printhead design
July 31, 2012 05:06PM
Hello, I give this to you, perhaps, someone with enough ingenuity (and who can afford and bought a printer tongue sticking out smiley) can make this reality. I am sorry I do not have very good motor skills so my writing can be a mess. It is free for everyone to use and add on to, not for commercial use.

Its just a rough sketch so everyone add your ideas and hopefully we can change the world one small step at a time. I feel it could also be modified to use pellets instead of strands at a much more consumer savvy price

[i.imgur.com]

Lets explain how this works shall we? An electronically controlled magnet is used to push a lever to move either pellets or stranded plastic into a small heatsink sized box with a peltier chip(it is a small flat square that gets extremely hot on one side and extremely cold on the other, they are mainly used to cool an object, not heat it up) that can be electronically measured to incrementally small amounts that can then be mixed and excreted in a very compact way, and by something that has already been built, simply using the magnetic coil, reversing the polarity, you can control the arm or piece of metal in the slide to go backwards and hit a small pump to shoot the desired colour out. Then we can throw out any bulky motor that has been restricting reprap from achieving its full potential.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask anything you need, i know its weird, first time poster putting something like this up, but please I would really love some feedback.

The image is large and uncompressed so people can zoom in and try to read my writing xD

edit: I also think a better design to this would be to use a swivel arm instead of a gearing system to feed the plastic, then it could also use the pellets.

edit 2: perhaps the reverse polarity could be used to 'push' the plastic into the mixer, each coil is for 1 colour

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2012 07:10PM by OmegaAF.
Re: 5 colour printhead design
August 03, 2012 03:37PM
Hey We just met and I know this is crazy, but I think my idea will work, so reply to me, maybe?

Could anyone reply with questions, criticism, ideas, anything, please?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 03:46PM by OmegaAF.
August 04, 2012 06:59PM
OmegaAF, Could you do some more drawings, I am having difficulty understanding your design.

Random Precision
August 05, 2012 01:48AM
I have a few questions when it comes to this design.

1. You would need 5 extruders to power this, how would you design the cold end?
2. What is a cubic pixel in the real world?
3. What would be mixing the filament, it looks like you have a rotating blade?
4. What does the electromagnetic coil do?
5. How would you prevent air bubbles in the mixture?

I honestly don't see this working, you would have to completely redesign the Mendel's z axis to support stronger motors to support the bulky extruder.

Could you maybe design a 3D model of this so it is easier to visualize?
VDX
August 06, 2012 03:09AM
... when the extruder(s) will have more weight than the printed objects, then it's time to change the arrangement and printing 'upside-down' by moving the extruders(s) in X/Y and lifting the object in Z ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login